TN OC Hire

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 29, 2018.

1. clownbaby

clownbaby kidbourbon version 2 point no

Broad strokes and lofty moral pedestal there.

2. Nannerpuss

Nannerpuss Member

While playing on twitter I looked through Joe Osovet’s “Likes” and stumbled across an interesting tweet he had liked from two days ago. Idk how to post twitter stuff on here, but here’s the copy paste version. Someone smarter than me feel free to post the link if you like. It’s from Bryan Blair, a sports agent Osovet follows. Possibly his own agent? Sorry if this was already discussed somewhere.

Coaches, you need a new agent if yours:

✔Dictates hires on your staff

✔Reps hundreds of coaches

✔Reps players

✔Uses your staff openings to generate pub for his other clients

✔Puts other clients ahead of you

#BrokenSystem #IllFixIt #SCNWFamily

3. clownbaby

Objecting to either one on character grounds seems inconsistent with the desire for Tennessee to be good at football again

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

it's really not, but at least you are consistent.

5. clownbaby

There isn't even a plausible argument that they aren't inconsistent.

IF the devil himself is the greatest offensive mind on the planet, but we don't hire him because we're big on Jesus and stuff, and we therefore settle for a lesser offensive mind, then the team is worse as a result.

There's no disputing that.

I mean, it's cool if you like moral pedestals more than winning. I just disagree.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah, culture of a program never influences success - or ability to succeed through turmoil.

Also, these are the only guys that can make us good at football again therefore rejecting them is inconsistent with the desire to be good again. Makes sense.

7. clownbaby

Indeed it does.

Again, you can be repulsed by what I'm saying, but if moral considerations are preventing us from hiring the best offensive coordinator then the two notions are 100% inconsistent.

8. TennTradition

The is no desire to win if you do not hire the best OC? Saban doesn’t desire to win? Do you think he hired the absolute best?

9. TennTradition

I will also add you can add the best offensive mind in the country but if it derails your program because of the distraction then they were not the ‘best OC’ you could hire.

spurgeon, IP and NYY like this.
  10. clownbaby

Sorry, I'm not following you.

To the extent you are asking whether hiring a hypothetical 2nd best OC instead of a hypothetical best OC is inconsistent with trying to put the best possible product on the field, then yes. Are you actually alleging otherwise?

11. clownbaby

Well then, yes, he wouldn't be the top OC.

But let's go back to hypothetical best OC and second best OC. Assume 2nd best OC ges home after work and unwinds with a glass of wine and an episode of game of thrones. Assume best OC unwinds with some hookers and blow instead. It sounds like you're suggesting that in such a reality 2nd best OC is now the most desirable candidate. But that's of course nonsense. So long as best OC isn't banging his hookers in the middle of practice, I don't think it would be a distraction.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Your whole argument is predicated on fallacy, one possible and one definite:

1. Possible: Freeze is the best OC we can hire. Says what, and who? You? How do they / you know that, for certain. Has there ever been an example of a coach who looked “best” at the outset, but then wasn’t, in actuality? You don’t know that he is, and TennTra doesn’t know that he isn’t.

2. Definite / Actual: You present a false choice - either hire a known and well-chronicled (infamous?) piece of shit and win / be successful OR forego hiring a piece of shit and deny any opportunity to win / be successful. I don’t live in a world in which I must only choose between hiring a piece of shit and being successful, or not. There are other candidates that may be just as successful here, and who are not pieces of shit.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's pretty simple, Art Briles and Kendall Briles should be shot.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This is where I’m at but I’m not sure that what Clownbaby is saying. I think (if I’m reading it right) that NOT hiring Freeze SOLELY based on character concerns (provided he is, in fact, the best possible candidate... which I dispute) means that UT isn’t as committed to winning as they could/should be.

Again, Freeze is a piece of human detritus for a number of reasons and I’m not convinced he’s even the best available candidate. I also think that judgement (more so than morality and maybe even more so than x’s & o’s prowess) is a very important consideration when it comes to hiring someone you are potentially going to pay upwards of a million dollars to and Freeze has proven unquestionably that he has bad judgement to go along with his low moral character.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

KB has always been consistent with things of this matter.

17. Savage Orange

Kaboom!!

18. Savage Orange

Just wait til somebody accuses a UT player of rape... that’ll smoke him out for sure!

zehr27 likes this.
  19. TennTradition

You didn’t say the best possible product on the field.

You said that choosing otherwise is inconsistent with the desire to win. I think that is wrong. There are multiple routes to winning and making an alternative decision can be completely consistent with that goal. In fact, hiring someone that you expect will cause a distraction, could bring NCAA scrutiny, etc. might be inconsistent with the desire to win.

spurgeon likes this.
  20. TennTradition

Yeah getting arrested for soliciting or cocaine possession wouldn’t grow a kink in anything.