Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

To point #1 I would say this is college football, not the NFL. The conferences are not uniform which necessitates weighing schedule/conference. You can’t really get around that.

For #2 I get it on some level but that Boise team was pretty dang good and that Oklahoma wasn’t awesome. They’d already lost twice. It might have been a shocking ending but it was not a huge upset. UCF, or at least this or last year’s would not have been more likely to beat the playoff teams than the teams ranked above them.

It’s not a good system, we agree there, but I don’t believe it’s been unfair to UCF.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

1) I can get around that. By having an 8 team playoff, with the champions of the P-5, two at-larges and the highest AP-ranked G-5 conference champion.

2) Because you don't think UCF could have beaten anyone last year. But you will never know. You are basing your judgement on the system against your assumption. It's circular. I'm saying I want to eliminate the unknown "what if."

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That isn’t fair competition. That’s UCF getting to a playoff after playing an entire year with the best competition they faced being Memphis. Their game of the year is P5 homecoming opponent.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m sick and tired of hearing about non-P5 schools, at all. In any regard. Nobody cares about them because no one needs to care about them, and they’ve not forced anyone to care about them.

Every non-P5 team wants to enjoy the fruits of the FSU model - where they just sort of force their way in by playing anyone, anywhere, anytime - but none of them want to actually follow it, except maybe Boise St.

Florida’s AD just publicly offered them a 2-1 home and home series and UCF DECLINED it, saying “We’re better than that.”

Uh, ok.

Well, you can continue to tell everyone how you’re too good for that while you’re sitting on the couch next to me, watching the playoffs. You need some chips? Another Coke?

If UCF or any non-P5 teams wants to be taken seriously, schedule games versus a traditional power in a P5 conference, and MAKE US take you seriously.

They’re lucky to have any path to have any chance to participate at all, IMO.

utvol0427 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then cut them from the the CFB bowl division and quit pretending.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah. That’d make them real happy.

7. Tenacious D

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would be honest, instead of pretending like they are in the same division when they clearly are not being treated like it.

9. Tenacious D

They have a path to participate right now, IP.

While the path to achieving it is relatively simple and straightforward - start playing regular season games versus the same P5 teams that you claim to want in the Playoffs, and prove that you can hang with and beat them - they refuse to avail themselves of it, ostensibly, for fear that they’ll be exposed.

The more they run their mouths + the less P5 teams they schedule to play = the more people like me believe them to be frauds.

Chicken shit, Shit-talking wannabees who can’t make a legitimate argument for being one of the 4 best teams in America (and they’d fail an 8-Team race, too, IMO) because their resume sucks balls. And that’s entirely their fault, and no others.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Play power 5's, give up home games, still no guarantee.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yep, officially don't feel sorry for UCF at all.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, how many power 5's must they play?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you ever?

14. Tenacious D

It hurts them that they’re not in a P5 conference, but simply because being in one forces you to play much tougher teams than their conference schedules require.

I can give you that, all day, IP.

And the only reason they don’t participate is because they don’t want to build a schedule that will allow them to play their way in, but just hope to [itch bay] and moan their way in, instead, as if this great and injurious harm is anything other than entirely self-inflicted. Which it is.

Forgive me, but when you’ve got a playoff where UGA (a team that lost to Bama by 7 in the SECCG) and two (2!) P5 conference champions are sitting on the outside looking in (Washington and tOSU), I’m not going to concede that UCF has a more deserving shot than those three teams.

Because they don’t, and it’s silly to assert that they do.

15. Tenacious D

How stupid is that guy?

When no one invites you to the party because they think you’ll drink too much and act a fool....getting drunk and acting a fool in response isn’t helping your argument.

Savage Orange and RockyHill like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which is why 4 slots is inadequate for a playoff with 5 major conferences and 10 total.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

UCF has played 2 OC powe 5 teams this year and 2 last year. How many do they need to play? How many home games do they need to give up?

18. Tenacious D

No, it isn’t. In fact, it’s the same system telling one of the P5’s that they’re guaranteed of sitting at home, too, and just like a lot of non-P5 schools will also do.

A system of inherent unfairness sets up a playoff that requires winning a P5 conference to gain admission to the dance, and where the top seed gets an opening-round BYE.

And, again, even if they expand to 8 teams, I am nearly certain that your non-P5 teams will still be shut out then, too.

Not because of some grandiose conspiracy and some ingrained commitment to unfairness...but because the non-P5 schools don’t play enough good teams to make a reasonable argument to be included amongst the best 4 or 8 schools.

And. That’s. Entirely. Their. Fault.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never said anything about a bye at any time.

It isn't their fault, as they can't force themselves into a p-5 and you can't schedule more than 1 or so OOC 2-1 home and homes a year without giving up having an ooc home game every year. Ucf is already playing 2 p-5's a year. If they were taking 2-1 home and homes, they would quickly be playing 5 home games every other year. That's not reasonable.

20. Tenacious D

In the past four (4) seasons, UCF has played five (5) ranked teams.

UGA played six (6) ranked teams THIS SEASON.
    They’ve played NINETEEN (19) in the last four (4) seasons.

tOSU played five (5) ranked teams THIS SEASON, and have played EIGHTEEN (18) in the last four seasons.

You could give UCF a combined resume of FOUR YEARS for this year’s playoffs, and they still don’t deserve to be in the conversation.

This is a non-issue. They need to consistently play many more and much better teams, and until they do, there’s nothing to talk about, or any other solution to be had.

utvol0427 likes this.