TN OC Hire

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 29, 2018.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Had a Bama friend asking me if we were hiring Chaney. Apparently that's making the rounds on other boards. Probably means we bring Deboard back

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Beginning to wonder if there’s some sort of financial incentive driving the delay. Recruiting class is nearly complete, so not a lot hinges on this hire from a recruiting perspective.

Maybe there’s a buyout associated with the next guy that drops significantly in January or February....

But probably not.

Dalekanium and NYY like this.
  3. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Not paying a buyouy? Doesn't sound like Tennessee to me.

Dalekanium likes this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Doug Matthews was right and it’s now 100% done. It’s Will Friend. Will be announced in early February. We’ve decided that the hope of us hiring a good OC will serve recruiting better than actually announcing our OC.

chef65 likes this.
  5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

In that case, we probably played it correctly.

Will look for Bailey decommitment around August.

6. The Big O

The Big O Contributor

With the Tee Martin News floating around today.... I know it's the anniversary but can't help but wonder if this is all just perfect timing

7. tfannon

tfannon Member

One scenario that no one has mentioned is that we may have Chaney, but UGA is making it difficult for Pittman to leave and we are struggling to match the offer.

Poppa T and NYY like this.
  8. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I woldn;t mind you being right, but then why not just go ahead and get Chaney working in Knoxville? Unless there is no deal unless they come as a package?

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

10. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

If true, I will be decommitting as a fan.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If you’re still here after Dooley and Butch, I doubt Will Friend as OC will be your breaking point.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Firing Friend should free up enough money

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The movement we witnessed Friday might not be limited to players. Don’t be surprised if we see some coaches leave is all over as well. Tennessee, which has gone well over a month now without filling its offensive coordinator vacancy, is said to be eying Georgia’s Jim Chaney. Chaney’s three-year contract is due to expire at the end of the academic year. He had to share coordinating duties with James Coley this past season, as well as move from coaching quarterbacks to tight ends, and I;m told still has property on a lake up in East Tennessee.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...-toughest-part-of-managing-a-top-tier-program

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Well, then.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The fact that he has property in East Tennessee is a guarantee that he'll be here. No landowners can resist the sweet smell of that UT dumpster fire. I'll start pouring the champagne. Feel good about this one.

16. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I want Chaney.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Wont happen.

The only way Pittman is here is if Friend moves to another spot.

The only way Tee ends up here is if somebody leaves. My guess is Weinke.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Pittman is going to be hard to get.

I'd swap Tee for Weinke yesterday.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Would be the most UT thing ever to hire USC’s fired, backup OC to be our new OC after we hired their main OC and he didn’t work out.

20. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Burn Athens, BURN

Memtownvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.