FSU on MLK

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You have got to be kidding me.

How in the hell does someone think that this is ok?!

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My friend showed me a UT graphic on Facebook that was similar. Seemed a bit of a reach to me.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't really see an issue

YankeeVol likes this.
  4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Appears it has been deleted. What was it?

5. Tenacious D

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Don't like it. At all.

7. Tenacious D

You don’t see an issue with a sports team Photoshopping a football glove emblazoned with a Nike swoosh onto the hand of one of the most universally beloved / widely respected human beings of all-time, in an effort to co-op the life & legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. so as to hawk said - and comparatively stupid assed - sports team?

NorrisAlan and gcbvol like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

'member when the VP used MLK to hawk the Wall several hours ago? I 'member.

Indy likes this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I 'member!

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Didn't notice the photo-shopped glove, but still don't really see an issue.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It seems weird to me, but I think it is just because it is so close to our time.

I thought the George Washington in the Mustang charging the British was cool.

Ben Franklin Motors, here in Knoxville.

The recent Abe Lincoln commercial lamenting his family isn't thanking him for the five dollar dinner plates.

But again, the fact that it is so close to his death and what he did perhaps makes it different.

InVolNerable likes this.
  12. Tenacious D

How about he’s one of, if not THE single most important, relevant and inspirational figures in American history - and quite rightfully so - and whose life and legacy should be well safe from being used and associated with any manner of stupid shit, such as this is?

What if Nike had released a doctored ad, showing him wearing a pair of their latest shoes during his famous march in Montgomery?

What if Tempurpedic used a playful twist on his I Have a Dream speech to announce 25% off all mattresses?

13. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Good lord... I lose a bit more hope for basic human decency with each passing day but this is.... next level...

14. Tenacious D

I’m not going to ruin this day of remembrance in arguing this bullshit.

NorrisAlan and Savage Orange like this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Manipulating the image of a civil rights icon on a state school twitter account to have anything to do at all with football is disgraceful

Savage Orange likes this.
  16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't see it as selling Nike. I see it as "FSU, go do something". It's selling the university, which is different to me then selling me a mattress.

17. Savage Orange

Somehow, the fact that Willie Taggart is in on this makes it even worse. It shouldn’t, but it does.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Just in case there was confusion, I am completely against this usage of his person. I think it is grossly used and glad they took it down.

I just wanted to note my own hypocrisy in that I then enjoyed my personal most important figure in US history, Washington, running down red coats in a Mustang.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

What's the difference in this and the Dodge commercial in the Super Bowl last year?

20. Savage Orange

Using Dr. King to “sell” anything is an abomination and ought to carry legal penalty.