FSU on MLK

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Then why not just say that? Are the man’s life and his words somehow sufficient to adequately convey that message?

Why the glove on his hand?!

And if you don’t see it as “selling Nike”....what is on that Photoshopped glove, Lumber?

2. Tenacious D

That commercial re-aired the message of the man in a respectful way, and which didn’t detract or distract from his words and legacy, and making him a caricature in the process.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Uhh, that's exactly what it says. FSU Go Do Something with the quote underneath.

Because its a football glove and its a football twitter account? It could have been left off, would probably look better since the quality of the 'shop is not great.

4. Tenacious D

There’s nothing else that I can say, and which would prove helpful to either of us.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The people Norris named off are not relevant and inspirational in American history?

6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

They are but it’s not the same thing. Dr King’s children are still alive for God’s sake. You’d have to go back six generations to find any relatives of the others Norris mentioned...

7. Savage Orange

I don’t think there was any malicious intent on FSU or Nike’s part but the whole idea was poorly thought out.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's of questionable taste. There's not an ocean of distance between FSU and the Dodge commercial. So long as his estate approves of the use, it's not a big deal to anybody who really matters in all of it.

9. Savage Orange

Have you read up on the disputes among his kids over his estate?? It’s a sad story...

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Not really. It seems like I had seen something about this a few years ago, but I haven't kept up with it.

11. Savage Orange

12. Savage Orange

Dexter has been particularly egregious is his zeal to profit from his fathers legacy.

13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Ummm... his image has been used to advertise strip clubs before.

14. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

It's probably some intern who posted it. I doubt he meant anything by it. People will forget in 5 minutes anyway and be offended by something else

Savage Orange and warhammer like this.
  15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't like it, but I don't see it as any different than all of the retailers that advertise sales for MLK Day.

lylsmorr likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tennessee's is much better. Chose a quote with torchbearer vibes.

justingroves and Savage Orange like this.
  17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

As long as they can find one guy from the Seminole nation that is ok with MLK doing the chop, then it's cool. They've got the pass.

justingroves likes this.
  18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don’t like using “holiday” for MLK day. I much prefer “rememberance day.”

I haven’t gotten to have a conversation with my CS department yet, but someone put “holiday” on the website message, like it’s Thanksgiving or something.

Savage Orange and lylsmorr like this.
  19. Savage Orange

Great point. Same goes for Memorial Day. I hear idiots say “happy Memorial Day” and I don’t know whether to face palm myself or go Fritz Von Erich and put said person in the iron claw...

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Our website person made the Memorial Day mistake last year. Didn't mean anything by it, but after all the hate email she received I had to fight the urge to walk up to every veteran who emailed her and scream happy memorial day in their faces.