Play In - chavis vs volfanjo

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Mar 19, 2019.

?

Who's worse

Poll closed Mar 21, 2019.
  1. chavis

51.9%
  2. volfanjo

48.1%
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m certain they’d have a box to spare, given the amount of free needle exchange boxes that their patrons must regularly bring with them.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Gulch? Is that really the vibe I give off? I think I've been to the Gulch 3 times in my entire life. Can't stand the place or the people that typically prefer hanging out there.

We honestly hung out on Broadway and 2nd Avenue quite a bit. I had free parking downtown for work, friends that lived a short Uber ride away, and a buddy who DJ'ed at a number of the bars down there and could get us free drinks on occasions.

I know the "cool" people hate on Broadway because it's too touristy, but I never really understood that. There's something for everyone down there.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Of course you would love it.

justingroves, IP and chavisut like this.
  4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

No, now that you mention it, you do give off a Broadway vibe.

justingroves, IP and Ssmiff like this.
  5. CardinalVol

Just the 30 minutes we walked up and down it to waste time Sunday, I couldn't help but think how God-awful that area had become.......

Only to have one of those stupid drinking bike things go by at 1030 am local time on a Sunday to make me realize it was worse than I thought.

IP and chavisut like this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hell, I'll own it. I'd rather give off a Broadway vibe than a Gulch vibe.

We used to frequent Buffalo Billiards on 2nd avenue for free pool and shuffle board. Hung out a lot at Famous Saloon on the corner of 2nd and Broadway. Their rooftop has an awesome view of the stadium, river, pedestrian bridge, etc., and it has a sort of "undiscovered" feel to it because it's not easy to get to and doesn't get too busy.

We avoided the main "tourist" bars like Tootsies. I was a fan of The Valentine and Paradise Park prior to it shutting down.

It was also nice to be able to walk out of Pred's games and be right in the action.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You won't ever hear me trying to argue for the area, as a whole, being great. I do think it has it's bright spots. I was always able to have a good time when I was down there.

8. CardinalVol

You literally began this by arguing for the area and that you didn't understand why people hated it.

justingroves and IP like this.
  9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Here we go.

Poppa T, utvol0427 and IP like this.
  10. CardinalVol

This is literally the exact opposite of not-arguing for the area.

IP likes this.
  11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

You are absolutely a Broadway type.

justingroves and IP like this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't see any inconsistencies with the two comments. I started by pointing out that the "cool" thing to do is shit on the area as a whole. Something like "Broadway sucks. It's way too touristy."

I then pointed out that I never really understood that sentiment because "there's something for everyone down there." As in, most people can find something they enjoy down there, even if they don't like the area as a whole.

I followed that up by pointing out some of the less popular places that I frequented (has anyone on here even heard of Buffalo Billiards?) and stated that I always had a good time when I was down there. I also pointed out that I never went to the "popular" places like Tootsies.

I then closed out by stating that I'm not arguing for the area, as a whole, being great. In other words, I couldn't walk into every single place down there and have a great time. But there were definitely places down there that I enjoyed, and I think more people would find something similar if they were willing to get past being "cool" and just give it a try.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Define a "Broadway Type."

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

So you're a Broadway Hipster.

15. CardinalVol

Saying Broadway isn't as bad as cool people make it out to be is arguing for the area, even if you don't think it's the greatest place in the world. You are still arguing it has good qualities, one of which is that there is something for everyone.

If I were to say Butch Jones wasn't a God awful coach because he recruited talents players, I would be arguing for Butch Jones.

You are doing a similar thing with Broadway.

How in the hell do you have an English degree?

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Emma Squared in the gulch cant be beat.
    Nor can the Pub during World cup. Only reason to go imo.
    Still mad I didnt grab a condo or 2 when they were auctioning off for nothing 2007ish. What was then sold for $50-$70 square foot are now worth $300+ sq foot or more

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Had a pedal bar in our local St. Patties parade directly followed by the strip club float. Only in Alabama...

CardinalVol likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've never said that I'm not arguing for Broadway (I clearly am). I said you'll never hear me argue that the area, as a whole, is great.

My exact words, which you've already quoted, but are clearly misreading or misunderstanding:

Those statements do not, in any way, contradict each other. You can say a place isn't as shitty as people claim without going all the way to saying it's great. And as I expanded on my initial comment, I pointed out the places that weren't as "touristy," for which I was vouching.

But I'm the village idiot, so in the end, it really doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong. On here, I'm always wrong, regardless.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I guess in the sense of enjoying places that the "crowd" doesn't go, yeah. But none of those places are anything close to what traditionally qualifies as "hipster."

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

In the gulch, you have the Station Inn and what else? Serious question. I've not been in a few years, but we used to go up to the Station Inn quite a bit. I know last time there were some high rise condos and such, but it still was kind of desolate.