Questions for Indy

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Indy, where are you from originally, as in “born and raised”?

Any siblings? How many, gender, ages?

What about your parents? What do they do, where are they from? Same place as you grew up?

How old are you, Indy?

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Is this thread 'the action'? If not, good luck getting Indy in here.

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. Tenacious D

Legit LOL.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Here’s the good thing about Indy. I have no doubt he will come in and answer each and every question and probably 100 more that y’all ask him.

justingroves likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm gonna channel my inner you for a bit, as this seems like a solid opportunity. A couple things:

1. Why are you asking me these questions? I don't necessarily have a problem answering them, but I'd like to know why you are asking.

2. I've taken a lot of shit on this website, some well deserved, some probably just the result of people piling on. I've had the same name on this and the previous site since back when I was still a kid, and I've never once tried to change my name or pretend I'm anyone other than who I am. I've owned it. I've taken the kicker comments, the name calling, and even the increasingly fantastic, over the top, vulgar narratives of the time I ate Chinese food, talked UT football, and drank a couple beers with a guy who later went completely nuts. I get that people talk shit to people, and it's the interwebz, so I deal with it and don't really let it bother me. To be honest, it's pretty funny a lot of times.

But in the last year or so, multiple site Moderators (on multiple occasions) have, in the heat of argument, claimed I tried to "get with" underage female students when I used to substitute teach. They did so in an angry, non joking way, and as if it was a completely factual statement. I think that's an incredibly inappropriate thing to make up about someone, especially someone you know works or has worked in that setting in the past. People are stupid and believe the shit they hear nowadays without questioning or thinking critically about any of it. So for two people, both of whom are Moderators and generally pretty well respected and considered to be "good people" on this site, to not only make that shit up, but then throw it out there in a very "not kidding" manner on multiple occasions is alarming to me. I thought about reporting the comments but knew that wouldn't do any good. It's not like they're going to moderate themselves. I was honestly a bit surprised that no on else said anything about it or pointed out how blatantly inappropriate the comments were, on any of the occasions. I don't need anyone to stand up for me or anything, but people around here tend to call it out when someone is posting something completely inappropriate and uncalled for.

I guess what I'm getting at here is I don't mind sharing certain aspects of my life with you people. I am who I am, and I have no desire, nor do I feel the need to hide or change that to be more liked on a message board. But if people are going to take knowledge of me, such as the fact that I substitute taught for a brief period after college, and turn it into very serious and inappropriate claims, like that I "tried to get with my students," and there isn't going to be any sort of repercussions for doing so, then I'm not sure it's in my best interest to share any of that information.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Indy, I haven't had a lot of good things to say about you (although I don't know about the student stuff you listed,) but this statement is true and, in some light, admirable. You have owned who you are.

justingroves and lylsmorr like this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Hell, I thought everybody on the board was mod, except me.

NorrisAlan and reVOLt like this.
  8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm just a regular VIP

Poppa T likes this.
  9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

May as well be. fl0at is the only one that does any work

Tenacious D and Poppa T like this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Well, that’s however long it took me to read that minutes of my life I can’t have back.

Is what I wanted to post. Instead, I’ll say this.

I agree pedo jokes are below the belt and shouldn’t be made. I’ve not seen any of that previously, except for once, recently, and it wasn’t toward you.

12. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

While I think Indy is def intelligent, I think his interpersonal skills are prob on a Butters Stotch level. If I had to guess I’d say only child that was either homeschooled or co-op’d during the middle school years. No offense, Indy.

13. Tenacious D

1. Curiosity. I’m a curious person. Plus, you’re a character. As Cotton said, you’ve owned it, and in a sense, it is admirable. You don’t shy from a fight.

2. You couldn’t take enough shit for being ran down by a kicker and drinking beer with Sab, were you to live 100 lives. The whole substitute teacher stuff is entirely new to me - I don’t recall having heard that you were even a substitute, or that anything unseemly occured, at all. I don’t recall having heard about it even via secondhand. Had you told me, or any one of several other mods, that you felt like it crossed a line to having the legitimate potential of causing you any grief in your non-interwebz life, I would have intervened, even if privately, and at the very least, removed it. I’m sorry I didn’t see it, that it was said, and that nothing was done about it. It is entirely my fault, alone, and I sincerely apologize for it.

14. Tenacious D

*is

15. Tenacious D

Another point of this thread was to attempt a crude outline of your genealogical chart, leading to your paternity, because several are convinced that you’re SSMIFF’s son.

And we want you to explore the facts to support that hypothesized truth.

16. Tenacious D

And the “in the action” comment is my new personal favorite, ranking right up there with Eric’s “Night Moves”.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

You're a mod too, you've just not discovered your hidden powers.

kptvol and Poppa T like this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

My sons wont get in a car with sab. Besides that Indy seems like a solid dude, who knows cool places to hang such as Buffalo Biliards.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

None taken. Neither an only child nor home schooled or co-op’d.

What do I do/have I done to make you think my interpersonal skills are so poor?

I don’t think ssmiff is my father. My father is a UT fan, but I don’t think he posts on any message boards.

It’s all good man. I don’t think you need to apologize for something you didn’t see, and I don’t hold you responsible for the words/actions of other grown men.

I wouldn’t say it caused me grief in my non interwebz life either, but I could see how it could become problematic. It reminded me, on a lesser scale, of when Jewbaccah accused our former basketball savant of being an anti-Semite. It wasn’t true. We all knew it wasn’t true. And while it didn’t cause any immediate, noticeable harm, the potential harm it could cause to that person’s actual, real life made it highly inappropriate and cause for repercussion.

But it is what it is. I’m glad you agree that it’s inappropriate, and hopefully it won’t be an issue in the future. I’m okay with moving on from it.

I grew up in Southern Indiana. My folks are still there. Mom’s from Iowa, dad’s from East TN (which is how I’m a UT fan). I don’t think it matters what they currently do.

I have two half siblings and a step sister who is in her early 30’s. The other two are both still kids, so I’m not going to say anything further about their ages or genders.

I’m 27 years old. I believe I was 15 when I joined TOS, and 19 or 20 when I joined this site.

Happy to provide whatever additional information you need in order to prove I’m not the offspring of ssmiff.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Blood type?