Rick Barnes Is Staying

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NEW COACH, Apr 8, 2019.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And it will. You get paid elite money, you provide elite results.

The good thing about this is we now pay elite for basketball. Which means if Barnes can’t get us over the hump, we will be infinitely more attractive to someone that can.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It’s a business.

I love the community I’m in right now. If Farragut calls tomorrow, I’ll love the shit out of that community too.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Huh? Kiffin didn’t say to the media that if USC offered he’d take the job. Of course he wasn’t asked, but if he were even he would’ve been smart enough to give a coach speak answer.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The contract he has now isn’t because he’s a good man.

It’s a contract that thanks him for stabilizing the program and sets the expectations that Sweet 16s aren’t going to cut it. This will work itself out.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Rick deserves a raise and extension after next season regardless of whether or not we make the tournament.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's all that mattered before UCLA came calling

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kiffin had a tie to USC. Kiffin got a raise out of it.

And hey, if Barnes is 75 and coaching at a high level at a lesser school in 10 years and we are struggling, I'd take him back too. It's the dog and pony show I don't like. If you recall, I wasn't as enraged as most when Kiffin left in the first place. The only thing that bothered me at all was telling new enrollees not to go to class. That's it. It sucked for sure, but I saw it as the AD's fault more than anything. This wasn't Fulmer's fault. He's been attentive to his two money sports.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hey, he'll make some calls and pray on it and let you know next Spring.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Agreed.

Fulmer sees the stability and success following the last 3 guys, 2 of which you were forced to fire and not because of how many games they won. The other quit after his 1 good year.

He paid to not have to worry about that until Pruitt has done the same in football. If Pruitt doesnt, I dont think Fulmer is hiring the next basketball coach.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

It will be very difficult to get Fulmer out before he wants to go out.

utvol0427, NYY and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

True, but I think he's got about 4 or 5 years left tops. He genuinely enjoyed retirement

12. Beechervol

It will if Pruitt works out, Kelly finds some footing and Barnes doesnt kick back and start clock watching.

13. Beechervol

Agreed.

If he just secured basketball with his decisions and Pruitt works out he ll take a victory lap and go home in a few years IMO.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. I appreciate the honesty and it doesn't bother me. I am also being honest in letting him know that his pay now makes expectations of a top 25 program a must or he will feel it fast.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not me but it's because I don't think he is worth a shit as a HC. If Chaney retires I would welcome him back as OC no problem.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Did he get a raise when factoring in cost of living? I highly doubt it, especially considering we were willing to counter. Additionally, USC was facing sanctions.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Barnes has always had his eye in the UCLA job. He had a shot at it and he pursued it. I'd guess UCLA told him in the beginning they'd try to cover the buyout and couldn't do it. It happens. I'm quite certain he realizes that he just upped the pressure here on himself.

As for his faith. Man, take about 30 minutes to research it if you think hes using it as a scapegoat. The guy is as real as it gets. Nothing he said strikes me as using God as a crutch pandering.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

"it wasn't about the money." we were willing to counter, he wasn't interested. Barnes was.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

His pay was already setting the expectations to that of a top 25 program. His latest raise just upped those expectations to that of a top 5-10 program.

Likely, we'll pay him top 5 coach money the next four years and likely receive a sweet sixteen or two in return.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If it wasn’t about the money I don’t understand why you mentioned the raise in your justification.

And if it about money, so what?