"The Athletic" discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Good one on Gooden headed into spring.

justingroves likes this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"He's gonna be a track star today" is a very good quote

NYY likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

Yes it is. And I'm going to use it.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"Somehow, people are underestimating the value a healthy Jennings adds to this team. Saturday, he looked fresher, quicker and healthier than I’ve ever seen him. It’s easy to forget, with the suspension in 2017 and the following surgery and injuries, that Jennings was basically hobbling through the entirety of the 2018 season. He was a big body capable of making plays over defensive backs and in the red zone, but the Jennings of last year was a far cry from Peak Jennings. His numbers in 2016 (albeit in a far better offense) were much better than his numbers in 2018.

This year, don’t be surprised if Jennings surpasses Callaway as this offense’s top weapon and one of the best receivers in the SEC."

This makes me happy

https://theathletic.com/924343/2019/04/15/tennessee-spring-practice-football-takeaways-questions/

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"Guarantano has to feel uncomfortable behind that line and has no running game to lean on. He has the physical tools, even though his accuracy downfield needs to improve. On the rare occasions he gets time, he looks like a capable passer. Put a lot of the SEC’s quarterbacks behind that line with that running game, and they’re not putting up the numbers and efficiency Guarantano did in 2018, and that’s without even mentioning him playing through a handful of injuries. He wasn’t asked to do a ton in the offense last year, but he did what he was asked. The bulk of the load in this offense lies with the offensive line, and that group has yet to look capable of shouldering it."

6. CardinalVol

Get the line to serviceable and this team ain't gonna be half bad.

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Sad news yet again on the Oline

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Chaney will find a way.

A-Smith likes this.
  9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He is definitely an upgrade that won't be as predictable as the last guy

Memtownvol likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I really believe this to be true.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Hard to believe he can improve on an offense that is infallible

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The Kongbo exit interview may be worth the price of a subscription.

What was said?
    What wasn’t.

13. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

He stated everything we already knew, Butch was in over his head and was just trying to sell a good program to the media.

14. CardinalVol

What was said - everything

What wasnt - nothing

A-Smith likes this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Excerpt

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Stop, because I really don't want to hate another human being. And stories like this make me hate that dumb mother[uck fay]er more and more.

kmf600 likes this.
  17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

My hate is for the idiot Bammer AD who hired him and kept him too long. It's going to take awhile and a great season or three to get all that stink out of this place.

A-Smith likes this.
  18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, definitely hate Hart as much as Butch. Also can add the majority of our fan base that continued to support him past October 29th, 2016.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He actually said that they somewhat respected Butch but that he was in over his head. That he needed some kind of administrative role instead of the meat and potatoes of coaching.

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Not sure I got "respected" as much as "liked," but yeah, he was good at making the program fun for everybody but not good at the football part (or the honesty part)