Rick Barnes Is Staying

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NEW COACH, Apr 8, 2019.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I am surprised this is such a divisive issue. We should steer the conversation toward something more agreeable like Trump or abortion.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Nothing to rage about at this point.

He would most prefer to be at UCLA, and when the effort to get there failed, he still accepted $20M in guaranteed money from Tennessee - and a mere four months removed from his last raise + extension - because he’s such an honest guy.

And God.

So, nothing to [itch bay] about, really. Instead, I will simply look forward to our being collectively and similarly honest in the need for his providing us with an equitable level of achievement.

It only makes me more excited for the next season to begin, now having the 3rd highest paid / best coach at the helm.

mmmjtx likes this.
  3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is related. That's what you've proven you do. Get emotionally attached to them because they are at UT.

The reason you don't care for your first point is he is still here and you're back on the Rick wagon. The reason you won't do your second point is because you never do hold them to expectations. You didn't with Butch. You didn't with Dooley. You didn't with others.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think the issue is we don't like being lied to. His actions and his words are disconnected. That's all.

Be real all the time if you're going that route.

Tenacious D likes this.
  5. Tenacious D

Well, a person can act as he has and then later say all of those things. They just can’t then claim to also be an honest person, and anyone else would be stupid for believing them, if he does.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, it's pretty shocking. You guys usually never argue over trivial stuff.

Tar Volon and lylsmorr like this.
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think he likes it here, probably was fine finishing his career here, but an opportunity presented itself that he thought might be better. He pursued it, but some red flags made him reconsider. And here we are. I think that jibes OK with what he said.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems the claws are out more than usual.

9. Tenacious D

And don’t then claim that God is responsible for your stupid ass.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't. Glad we've reached the end of it.

11. Tenacious D

This just isn’t true, KPT.

It’s demonstrably false, and disproven by his own mouth.

He said that he didn’t go to UCLA because they wouldn’t pay his buyout.

When he was again and more pointedly asked what would have resulted from their paying his buyout, he said he’d have taken the UCLA job.

Go back and watch it, again.

IP likes this.
  12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Your future boss showing the monumental incompetence of letting his desire to hire you go public without being willing to cover your buyout would qualify as a red flag to me. That guy is probably not long for his position and at a basketball-centric school at UCLA, his successor will likely want to hire his own guy. Not the sort of employer situation you want when you are facing a rebuild.

CardinalVol likes this.
  13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yet Barnes flat out said the only reason he's not there is the buyout not being covered. The AD pretty clearly didn't worry him because the only thing preventing him from going there was the buyout. According to Barnes himself. In his honest way.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ok lyls:
    For the nth time I held on as long as i could but was done with my program support up 9-0 vs Florida when we took a sack and fumble. Gave away my tickets and didnt go back. Left knowing what was coming and beat traffic while trying to explain to my son why we were leaving, so yeah. You are wrong.
    -Fulmer, i was ready for a change.
    -Kiffin. Was happy with the young arrogance and bravado. and wish he would have stayed at the time. Now I dont know if it would have worked out well.
    -Dooley made me laugh. Cant help it. Offense with bray, Hunter, Rivera, etc was fun at times. Teague in single coverge on the slot wasn't.
    -Pruitt, i havent posted much at all about him because we dont have the weapons yet. He needs to get them and develop
    --Cuonzo, he sucked at coaching offense so I never liked him
    --tyndal made me think of Chas Bono so i couldnt watch much
    --Barnes is arguably the nest coach UT has ever had. Now hes paid like it and needs to get the players in and make elite 8s and final 4s to match what is paid.

So no, your description, of how I view coaches is fake news. You get mad and emotional about them. I don't.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm not even going to respond to the blatant lies.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

they commend his honesty while refusing to believe the words out of his mouth.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Your first sentence is not true. He said he thinks he would have been there if the buyout had been covered. He didn't expound on any implications the buyout not being covered might have had.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Oh come on. Now you're going to assume things he didn't say or even imply.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That is exactly what you are doing.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yet it's not. I'm going by exactly what his actions and words are.