Rick Barnes Is Staying

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NEW COACH, Apr 8, 2019.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. You are not.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is just comical now. Have fun.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Again, that’s not what he said.

And all of this was both true and known to Barnes even as he was trying to take the UCLA job and to work for this guy.

He wanted to go to UCLA.
    He was willing to go to UCLA.
    He was trying to take the UCLA job.

All of these would have required his leaving Tennessee.

The only reason he didn’t leave Tennessee and take the UCLA job is because they wouldn’t pay his buyout. He said exactly this.

Had they paid his buyout, he would have left Tennessee to take the UCLA job, and which he knew included his working for this same guy. Again, he said exactly this.

Exactly. This.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't care that Barnes is bluntly honest or he pursues a better opportunity for himself, then parlays it into more money. I'm not paying a dime of it. I certainly don't believe he is among the top 5, or even top 10, coaches in America, though, so the money has been spent unwisely, in my opinion. I hate the silliness of an intervening God, but, if he wants to believe it, fine, just don't expect me to go along with the charade, unlike the fans who really believe these coaches see the program as they do (Wait until Pruitt becomes desired by someone of note.).

Ssmiff likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Who here is idolizing him or saying he can do no wrong on this message board?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's implied. This board is famous for being overly supportive of any and all Tennessee coaches.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Card has had his head up Barnes' rear for a while now. Ssmiff, well that's a given. The amount of people defending the dude talking out of both sides of his mouth in the last two days and lapping it up.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Becoming more VolNation like for Rick Barnes, of all people.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just don’t agree he’s talking out of both sides of his mouth. Don’t think anything he’s said is mutually exclusive. Maybe not wise to put out there, but it is what it is

Tar Volon likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The one thing I'm beginning to lap up is how you are reacting with Barnes coming back. You didnt get your way and have been acting like a butthurt big fat baby since.
    If Barnes leaves next week, I really dont care. Bringing back black curtains would be a high possibility, which would suck and the program would essentially have to start over again. Problem is if you are overly emotional about a subject, you are too red to see anything else anyway.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

2. Is interesting. Be curious to see how that matches up to what the other elite names in the business do. A couple of which make substantially more that Barnes.

12. Beechervol

13. Beechervol

Malfunction

14. Beechervol

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No one. But some of us havent [itch bay]ed about him since the day of his hiring either. This is just something new to [itch bay] about.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If Barnes is making over $4 million, he doesn't have to make the Final Four every other year, but he damn well better make, at least, one here in Knoxville. Based upon his track record, I'm not optimistic it will happen.

Daddy Gee, IP and A-Smith like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

4 million makes me expect a final 4 at some point, or move on.

Tenacious D and Unimane like this.
  18. Beechervol

That's a drastic difference from every year or every other.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Barnes has a shelf life. He needs to stabilize the roster right now with potentially four starters on the way out and what looks like a really good recruiting class coming up in 2020. But if that really good recruiting class doesn't build into a Final Four team, do we think a 70-year old Rick Barnes is going to hang around and try again? If we're not back in the top ten conversation in the next 3-4 years I think there's a pretty decent chance he just retires.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's probably retired in 4 years, regardless.