Rick Barnes Is Staying

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NEW COACH, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I'm surprised the AD is not catching some of this.

2. Beechervol

Eh. That's the same place bought into shower etiquette and brick laying not to long ago.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I figure the only way he doesn't is if he's got a team that is right on the cusp and is either returning enough or bringing in enough talent that he feels like he wants to make one last run at a title before he goes. If he's not close, I don't think he stays to 70.

4. Beechervol

70 is the max IMO.

5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Keep the steak, drop the fried food you'll be good.

6. zjc44

zjc44 New Member

What I don’t understand is why even bring it up at all. He made mention of it twice unprovoked and then when asked the question bluntly said had UCLA paid the buyout he would have left. I don’t understand why you take a normal press conference which is suppose to celebrate a win for the athletic department and introduce Kim English and turn it into a huge controversy where there didn’t need to be one. How hard is it to say “You know, UCLA is a great job and I really did consider going west, but after a lot of prayer, I really believe I’m meant to be here at this great university.”

Savage Orange, kptvol and utvol0427 like this.
  7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It was an idiotic thing to say.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That’s definitely how I would’ve played it

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

We can rule out the possibility that God told him to say that in the press conference, given his apparent interest in UT/UCLA athletics and finances.

10. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Barnes is supposed to represent the university and act in its best interest. I don't feel like he did with those responses.

ESPN had a story with the "I'd be at UCLA if they paid the buyout" headline on the front page. Wonder how that plays on the recruiting trail, where we've largely been ass so far and only recently turned the momentum... at least until Barnes tried to shoot his own [penis]. "Come to Tennessee... oh wait, Cronin called you? Don't be stupid, just go there."

100% biting the hand that feeds you. I'm pretty on board with getting the program stable a couple years and then lining up the next guy.

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. Beechervol

Where does Phil (and the rest of the decision makers) play into this representation and best interest of the University?

Im not naive enough to believe he didn't think Barnes was serious enough to take the job. And according to the way some lay out the chronology of events, he gave him the bump after the buyout issue arose (which Barnes claims was the reason he's not there).

Are people pissed that he was interested enough to take the job if the details worked out?

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

People are always pissed.
    Right now Tenny is pissed at:

1. The greatest show ever
    2. The best UT basketball coach chooses UT over UCLA.
    3. Im Still here.

All silly.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Why is he mad about The Wire and The Sopranos?

PilotFlyingJ and Tenacious D like this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Decent point on The Wire. Sopranos
    East Bound and Down and The Office top 5 imo.

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

They should have been proactive I guess, although Barnes made it abundantly clear that all things being equal he'd rather be in Westwood.

But since Barnes is still here, it's time to get back to work building a title contender. Really odd first step.

16. Beechervol

This whole saga has been interesting. Typically the AD and Admin is squarely in the cross hairs when fans see what they think are foul ups in regards to coaches, contracts and whatnot. I just find it curious that if anything they are getting credit for not just keeping a coach that some feel didn't want to be here, to giving him roughly 1.5 mil more a year to stay.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This is where I’m at. No good can come from it. You got your money, shut up and coach, I say...

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Fulmer is more Teflon than Trump, atm.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator