Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Calvary is for skirmishing and flanking, not rushing.

I don’t understand why they didn’t just put everyone inside Winterfell, to maximize your concentrated strength, with better defenses, and where you could more easily limit / handle points of entry.

But then, I also didn’t understand why Jon took his dragon and went to sit and watch Bran, and why Danny also just disappeared, while the wights were standing immediately behind a burning trench of makeshift fire....out in the open, perfectly exposed...or even after the retreat had occurred and the wights were later and conveniently bunched together against and climbing the walls...and while waiting to be easily engulfed in dragon fire...like so many horrific fish in a low-risk death barrel.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

the overall dragon deployment strategies have been consistently terrible in this show. not maximizing the extreme advantage of air superiority. and the night king failed to fully utilize his, too.

reVOLt, utvol0427 and kmf600 like this.
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Kind of like how WWI horribly used their air power at the start.

We all know story > logic or quality military stratagems.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're consistently bad, so I won't complain

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I liked the episode, I feel like I would have started the fire in the trench, then hit the walkers with fire from the back and sides. I thought the knight king was going to kill Jon, then he raised the dead, I think I must have felt that defeated feeling winterfell must have felt. They were finally getting to rest, just to start all over again. I felt like the end was a little rushed. I wish Jon would have fought him a little, but I'm happy Ayra got him. Looking forward to more nudity in later episodes.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

in hindsight, everyone should have had a small piece of obsidian pushed under their skin like a sliver so as to instantly self-destruct if raised from the dead.

reVOLt and kmf600 like this.
  7. NorrisAlan

Big government answer if I ever saw one. Wanting to lojack everyone!

tvolsfan, IP and kmf600 like this.
  8. Tenacious D

I cannot imagine any scenario in which there will be any cause to complain that not enough of the main characters died, by series end.

Consider these, and tell me which wouldn’t be heartbreaking to see die / killed (in no particular order):

Jon.
    Dany.
    Arya.
    Tyrion.
    Tormund.
    The Hound.
    Sam.
    Gilly.
    Sansa.
    Brienne.
    Jamie.
    Greyworm.
    Varys.

Heartache is imminent, IMO.

I wouldn’t mourn Bran, because he’s a uselessly unsympathetic character, as his entire existence to the story is merely as a Flex Seal for any plot holes that need patching.

9. NorrisAlan

I honestly think the whole night king-three eyed raven story is a complete McGuffin, used to push the political plots along this whole time, and a poor one at that. I believe the whole story would have been better (TV wise, perhaps it is better in the books) without the Night King story arc, and just stuck to the political side.

Tenacious D likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Agreed. I lived seeing him get killed, and by Arya, but it was also a sort of let down.

I guess the point was to unite everyone, and it took something of that magnitude to do that, so it worked.

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I dunno. The opening scene of the show and prologue of the book is about the White Walkers. The series is actually titled A Song of Ice and Fire. To me it has always been about the NK as much as anything.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

One of them has to be dealt with first, and each way would probably leave some folks disappointed

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Attached Files:

14. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I agree the NK was a bill deal and big player. There are at least two major battles this season. The first was now between the living and the dead. You can't make everyone happy on how the story was told and unfolded but damn did they do a damn good job IMO of telling it. Now the second battle will happen between the "good guys" in the North and that [itch bay] everyone hates in Kings Landing. Everyone will be pulling for the Northerners but if this show stays true to its roots then Cersei won't kill as many as a whole but she will kill more of the A team players. That is where will see the Hound vs Mountain showdown.

I always thought it was a good chance Arya would kill Cersei but now that she has bagged the NK I think it'll be someone else. Maybe her twin former lover or Sansa. So much more to happen in the next three over an hours episodes.

tvolsfan likes this.
  15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sam spent the entire episode on his back. I was sure when you watch Jon ignore him to try to get to Bran it would be the end, but no. Plot armor is way too think on too many characters.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Also, when they couldn't get the traps to light and you see Grey Worm out there with his men trying to buy time, I thought he was done. I was thinking it was a good death for him, but then he survives.

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I thought he would run across before it fell and die with his men.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'd do whatever it takes to see his girl naked again

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Her lower back dimples are unreal

kmf600 likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

ice and fire is stark and targaryen, imo. show is about Jon snow/aegon targaryen