The real drivers of popular opinion on climate change

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Feb 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

imagine the yeast infections

2. cpninja

cpninja Member

Nothing wrong with being horngry

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Did my fever just break?

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Gonna file this under yes, ip has humped a tree.

kmf600 likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Well done.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eh, it can make you fat over months.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

8. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I recommend the collapse subreddit.

9. gcbvol

I've never been much of a reddit guy, but will try to check it out.

What I believe is this planet will deal with us when we become too big a threat, so pretty much any time now. Pandemic seems most likely, but somehow, someway the Earth will work to heal itself. We're the disease.

10. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Pretty much. Don't look up wet-bulb temperatures if you want to sleep at night.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

anthropomorphism and looking for some greater order and control, imo. I think it's just us, and no matter how you slice it we are doing it to ourselves.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. gcbvol

Fair and it's definitely on us. I think my position is quasi-anthropomorphic. I see the Earth similar to a human (or any other terrestrial life form) as having a sort of immune system. So not a human-like consciousness per se, but an automatic defense system which kicks in to protect the entity when threatened.

I'm very likely wrong, but it's what I feel and a feeling is exactly what it is. I obviously cannot back it up. It's also not a perspective which takes us off the hook. I'm saying it's on us to get our collective act together or the planet might destroy us before we destroy it.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

sounds similar to Lovelock's "Gaia hypothesis." I think there is more reason to pay attention to the "Medea hypothesis," because it actually would mean we must take action whereas with Gaia it tacitly suggests things will ultimately return to balance with or without our will.

gcbvol likes this.
  14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Ride the [itch bay] to the wheels fall off.

kmf600 likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

we need to carve this in Stone Mountain as the last testament of this current civilization. probably needs some emoji's after it.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yes while ignoring that we're actually making a lot of strides in better stewardship and doing more with less resources than ever before.

It's not perfect, but it never will be as long as humans are around.

gcbvol likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

rate of carbon emissions is still accelerating. buildup of ocean plastics- accelerating. rate of extinctions- accelerating.

gcbvol likes this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Alright Thanos.

We're still heading in the right direction and will keep striving that way as the world poverty rate keeps decreasing.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

thanos' solution wouldn't work. population would be breaking records again in 20 years, tops. and you would have lost half the collective brain power for much of that time to work on getting us out of this situation. The problem isn't limited resources.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Thank God all those initial predictions from the beginning of climate change saying the world was going to end in 30 years were a little off.