Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Mar 14, 2012.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

The end? 2 seasons of horseshit. 2-3 season of bad to great, depending on the scene or episode.

It's not where the characters ended buy how they got there. Horrifically bad writing and storytelling. All-time bad ending to what was an all-time great start.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. GahLee

They wrote a book in the show and called it the book that the show is actually based on....yikes.
    The [uck fay]ing dragon had the greatest character development in the entire season and it happened in once scene. The dragon.
    Cersi was an extra.
    Jon Snow was a glorified extra, having "I don't want it/She's my queen" make up roughly 50 percent of his lines.
    The Knight King and an army of the dead were toppled in half an episode. 7 Years of buildup, vanquished with relative ease.
    Seasons worth of Jamie's redemption, only to throw it all away.
    Brandon Stark sits on the Iron Throne. The kid that didn't help with the school project but still managed to get an A. Unbelievable. Unforgivable, really.
    We get a glimpse of what kind of ruler he will be as his first action is to side against his family for Grey Worm. A throw away character sits on the throne and barters against his own family (the rightful heir) for another complete throw away character. He then sends him to The Wall, which I thought was destroyed by that bad mother [uck fay]er the Knight King and his ice dragon, apparently not, not only that, they still have these poor bastards there, for no damn reason at all.
    Did the poetic justice in the Clegane Bowl feel good? Gregor pulling the Mountain into the fire, just as the Mountain did to him as a child as Cersi awkwardly skirts past them like she is witnessing a man rough his woman up in public and just wants to pay for her latte and be on with her day.
    Where the [uck fay] did the dragon go? What of Dany's body? By the way, nobody witnessed the murder. How did it come to be that Jon Snow was being held prisoner for her death?
    Brienne of Tarth creates wikipedia.
    Sam damn near creates democracy, by the way, there is a water bottle in that counsel scene by his foot, how things like that slip past these people is beyond me.
    The part where the dude is making his claim for the Throne at the counsel should have included a laugh track.The series finale and you are giving this goofball screen time for a cheap laugh?
    At least Sansa had a Kanye moment and said, hey, he can be Lord Broken [penis] but only of 6 kingdoms, not 7.

There is an endless amount of these, I will stop for now. Will add I could come up with a better season than this and I could do it in about 15 minutes. At least we will have season 1-5, which were on par with any television show I have ever seen.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  3. GahLee

kmf600 likes this.
  4. GahLee

How does the Unsullied army get bigger? After many wars....many, many wars. They have no [Richards]! Where are these guys coming from? I can't believe how bad this season was. You got to be on some real fanboy shit to suppress all that is very, very wrong with the direction the show took once they ran out of Martin's material.

By the way, they are totally making spin off series from this and/or a movie. They left way too many characters alive, still plenty of money to print.

5. GahLee

The Unsullied were ready to kill Jon for simply disagreeing with the executions of the prisoners but they, nor the Dothraki, flinch when he kills her?
    Instead we are lead to believe Grey Worm will let he and Tyrion be judged by a group of mostly friends and family?

It's Hollywood nonsense.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I can't believe I paid 12 coconuts a month just to watch this season.

GahLee and utvol0427 like this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So does Arthur, King of the Britons, come in and clean up at the end or not?

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Sansa getting the throne is the only way that it could have been worse.

Where do the Dothraki now go?

Why didn’t Jon - as the last living Targaryen - just hop on the last dragon, assume control of the Armies and set it all up the way he wanted?

Arya’s face-swapping ability was for.....what?

The faceless man was for....what?

Jon’s entire story arc...his real identity as a Targaryen, living as a bastard, member of the Night’s Watch turned Wildling, dying / being resurrected, fighting NK, Danny’s lover, taking King’s Landing, killing Danny...ended with his returning to the wall as a member of the Night’s Watch, with no wife, no kids and owning no land....I liked it better when it was called “Season 1”.

Speaking of the Night’s Watch - y’all correct me here, if I don’t understand something - aren’t these the same cats who protect the wall, so as to prevent the Wildlings and White Walkers from coming south? But the wall is now destroyed and completely unnecessary, because the NK / WW are dead, the Wildlings have already come south, and can still now freely roam on either side of the wall? Have I nailed the pertinent facts? SO WHY THE [uck fay] IS THERE STILL A NIGHT’S WATCH TO SEND JON TO, AT ALL?

And GreyWorm goes from slovenly submissive eunuch to a member of the new council? Bet. But then he’s going to unilaterally decide to kill Jon? Bet. But Sansa has an Army of men to prevent it? Bet. But not enough men to convince GreyWorm and the Unsullied to turn Jon over? And then GreyWorm gets to decide what his punishment is....the same cat who saved them all from both the NK and a fresh reign from a new lunatic Targaryen in Danny? This cat gets to go live at The Wall, take no wife, have no kids, own no land...and everyone agrees with this shit? Including his sister, Bran the Retard, and Arya - the same one who just threatened to kill someone for even speaking ill of Jon? Cool, cool.

Can any of the other kingdoms just opt out, as Sansa did? If they’d have named Sansa Queen, would she have exempted the North from inclusion? Sansa was going to be a queen of something, by god, because she’s been so smart and brave to this point. It disappoints me that she wasn’t killed. She isn’t qualified to empty Cersei’s chamber pot.

And everyone is just going to sit there and look at Gendry, Bobby Baratheon’s true living heir, and who has the best claim as King, of any, and just be ok with him remaining the common Lord that Danny had made him, and which she had no authority to grant or allow, in the first place? Gendry is just going to sit there?

Oh, man, did y’all see the dude stand to talk, and Sansa just shut that shit down? And then he banged his sword? Haha haha! That was so funny. I’m surprised Sansa didn’t actually make the “Z” in front of her face while snapping her fingers and calling him “girlfriend” or “child” during that slapstick ineptness.

And Bran. Bran, Bran, Bran. Didn’t this cat turn down the King of the North, like 10 minutes earlier? But wants to be King of it all, now? Cool, makes sense.

Oh, what’s that? I’m the asshole? Cool, cool.

This post contains more thought and effort than they put into this last season. It could have been the second all-time best show ever, and this last season finale prevents me even listing it in the Top 10, maybe even Top 15.

That’s how indefensibly bad that shit is.

kmf600, GahLee, PilotFlyingJ and 3 others like this.
  9. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I was fairly drunk during the show and not in much of a position to critically analyze anything, but this one made me laugh live. Like oh okay, we're all just cool with Northern Independence now. Kingdom of the 6 has a nice ring to it now.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yeah it was bad. Disappointing season after several great years, and the anticipation from 2017 to last night was a waste of energy. I agree the finale and final season make this a not top 3 show for me anymore. And Bran is worthless. Can't see shit coming or help anybody.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What got me was wondering why did she, Arya and Bran have a voice or vote in choosing the next leader of the very kingdoms they just opted out from? Why were they even invited or chose to attend?

And the reasoning given....I guess the North is the only region that lost men, and who don’t want to kneel to a king? Good work if you can get it, I guess.

And did you notice that Sansa and Arya both stood and verbally saluted Bran, after he was named King, and they had made it clear that they were out? Okey-doke.

And then they’re going to not only name one of the traitors as their King, but the second most retarded one (behind Sansa)? And best of all, this decision was based on their acceptance of the recommendation of the now bumbling imp, the last surviving heir of a family who they all hate, whose reign just resulted in the destruction of King’s Landing, who served as the second in command for the lunatic who just destroyed it, and who now stands in shackles before them, for having still (and again) chosen his own family even over the appointed leader of the Seven (Six? Five? Three?) Kingdoms?

I’ll defy anyone to come up with something that makes less sense, than this. Seriously, everyone go try to come up with something more utterly nonsensical, and report back.

It couldn’t be more stupid had Sansa penned it, herself.

reVOLt likes this.
  12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The final was a lot of walking...characters thinking and marveling at the destruction as they considered what to do. Then, one thing happens....and more walking, contemplating.

The only part I somewhat enjoyed was my long awaited killing of Dany, but even this sucked as she simply died without saying anything, realizing what happened. The aftermath was offscreen and completely anticlimactic. It's kind of a big deal for her to be killed by Jon and, yet, it became almost a post-script to the show. It probably didn't help the chemistry between the actors playing the two characters was equivalent to actually being aunt and nephew, but the ultimate moment sucked.

Of course, I so badly wanted an elaborate death for Dany where she was forced to contemplate how all her recklessness, arrogance and self-righteousness became her downfall. Plus, it didn't help they made Jon such a pitiful character after being so strong a leader in previous seasons. Here is 90% of his dialogue in Season 8; "I don't want to be king" and "She is my queen". Dude had the most interesting plot to flesh out, a claim to the throne while secretly living as a bastard under the protection of his uncle, rising to power because of his own ability to lead and inspire a following among men. Then, he just becomes a mumbling [ussy pay]-whipped slop of emotions and pity?

I also agree with Tenny on Sansa. They just allow the North to become independent and no one says "Hey, if they are going to be independent, so are we."? Ohhhkkkkayyyy…..

Then, they throw in two dumb scenes. One, Edmure Tully completely abasing himself in front of a teenage girl as he's pitching himself to be king of the entire [uck fay]ing continent. He's bold enough to voice a play for himself, yet silently folds from two words from Sansa? And, then the comic relief of Samwell proposing democracy and all laughing.

Ayra is Christopher Columbus? In a better written episode, and season, I could go for it. In this episode, kind of silly, but not the worst part.

Other pertinent questions which left me incredulous, and or shaking my head in the stupidity:

- Why is Bronn on the small council? What qualifies him and why is he trusted in this capacity, especially after his most previous appearance was to threaten the Hand with a crossbow?

- Did they rebuild the wall? I thought the zombie dragon destroyed it?

- What's the purpose of the wall and the Knight's Watch now? Are the wildlings, who voluntarily returned back to their desired home after helping save Winterfell, going to raid south of the wall again? If so, why not just remain there, you know, when they were offered the land?

- How the hell did the Dothraki survive Custer's Charge against the Army of the Dead? Why are there so many of them? Same to you, Unsullied.

- Why is the autistic kid the best ruler? No one thought anything about him being king after he spent three years rapidly becoming, in his own words, not Bran. Suddenly, he's Brandon Stark again? And, no discussion of the matter during the council, just a unanimous yes from everyone, except power mad Sansa?

So, many dumb endings to amazing storylines developed over many seasons. In a short, 6 episode season, they fight the most formidable opponent in the entire show, with one swift deus ex machina moment to defeat them, destroy the capital in an Armageddon-like battle to determine, well, the name of the show and then have the victor of the Game of Thrones murdered by her nephew lover after succumbing to her obvious psychopathic and narcissistic nature. Each of those things are seasons unto themselves and had been previously. Such a shit ending to an amazing, previously show, which went more silly and Hollywood fluff the last two seasons.

Tenacious D and reVOLt like this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I haven't watched it yet and have almost zero desire to do so. It is sitting there staring at me and I go "Do I even want to subject myself to this?"

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Best part of the show last night; showing that Jamie and Cersie died. Shut down pages and pages of internet rumors that they survived and are secretly living in ......

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That was a good scene.

Honestly it made me want to know what happens to Tyrion now. He has no one. The closest thing he has to friends are on the small council with him

tvolsfan likes this.
  16. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

We were making fun of all the "somber walking" last night....not sure that was the reaction that was intended.

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Underwhelmed. Although not terrible, a major letdown after seasons of such great story telling (Martin). Completely rushed, particularly the last half of the season. Can't add much that Tenny and Uni haven't said already.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[ussy pay] can do that to a man, though.

Someone posted a scene from Ayra, as a small child, saying she wanted to see what was west of Westeros. It was silly, but that actually played on something the character said.

A Lannister always pays his debts? I don't know, I would have rather seen him sitting in a castle full of whores.

Who's been north to know the wall is destroyed? His sentence to the wall is go be free north of the wall with the people you'd rather be with. They keep up that the night watch is important, it's not, it's just a way for Jon Snow to be free. I don't know, it's the only way it makes sense to me.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

The melting of the iron throne was very symbolic. Out with the old and in with the new.

Now waiting for the Deadwood movie at the end of the month.

reVOLt likes this.
  20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Hard to argue.

I can go for this. It does seem fitting with her character and not implausible. It's not a bad ending for her.

Yeah, I'm just not sure why Bran trusts and puts Bronn on the small council other than the fact Bronn provided comic relief for the scene and NHBO pushes his character as he's so widely liked (Lamented by Martin himself). It makes no sense a sell sword with dodgy loyalties, at best, is chosen for Master of Coin.

Jon's sentence was to Castle Black. He decided to skip out and join his buddy Thormund, an ending not awful, at all. Still, the existence of the wall in the shot at the end and the need for manning the wall as the wildings return to their homelands makes absolutely no sense.