Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lost to Team Wisconsin 7-3 quarterfinals. Much better than us and some big boys on defense. They ended up beating Indiana 10-1 in the final. My son not ready for that level of play yet but its all good. Good experience for him. Did draw a penalty today, but thats about it. It was also hot af

CardinalVol and chavisut like this.
  2. Ssmiff

Today was the day as a dad, you look at your boy or girl and they arent your little one anymore in a sense. It will happen to all of you with kids. You will look at them or a pic and you reflect. Th 2019-07-01_09.54.41.jpg ey go from 10 to 13 years old and the time is gone,

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Seeing your lacrosse posts gives me the itch to want to coach at some point. I started playing right after quitting basketball and I realized day 1 that having really good defensive basketball coaches made me totally understand lacrosse defense on day 1. It’s an awesome sport.

4. Ssmiff

Wisconsin scored 3 goals on pick and roll with a backpick for the roller. I didn't know such a thing existed a year ago. Its an awesome game live. Fast and some angry kids who will take some cheap shots, get a 30 second penalty, then come right back and do it again.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I was really lucky to play for a defensive coach that himself played at the college level for a legendary defensive coach. We were running a scheme that was light years beyond what anyone we ever played was doing.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

10U won district last night. In 4 games they outscored opponents 53-6. Competition is so weak, I still have no idea what it will mean moving forward.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I would have liked to see you guys keep the opponents under 1 run

8. CardinalVol

Watching the 10U Little LEague state title game. Good God Goodlettsville is a machine.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They can pull from three counties, Robertson, Sumner and Davidson. There's also some really good people that care that run it

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Wrapped up the more serious of the jr golf leagues today. It was a really good experience and is an example of the way youth sports leagues should be run, IMO. Cotton Jr. didn't play in all of the events, but he finished with a 1st, a 2nd, 2 3rds and a 4th as a 9yo in the 9-10 division, so I'm pretty proud.

NYY and droski like this.
  11. CardinalVol

My email to parents - if your son cant be at fall league tryouts, he will still be placed in a team

Reply email #1 - what happens if my son cant make tryouts?

Volst53, kmf600 and droski like this.
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

somehow i got roped into doing the fall ball schedule for games and practice. i already have one of my assistant coaches asking me to change the schedule for him personally.

13. CardinalVol

Ha ha ha ha ha

14. CardinalVol

Our coach pitch softball team won state. Happy for them.

droski likes this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

actually he didn't even ask. i'd say it was more of a statement/order.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Well? What does happen if they miss tryouts?

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Some people have to ask questions, just to ask questions. They're the worst in meetings, especially because I hate meetings. I think sometimes I get invited to meetings so I can ask a person to stop asking stupid questions so I can go. Normally when I piss the boss off, they'll talk to me on the side, no one has ever pulled me to the side for asking to cut the crap.

justingroves likes this.
  18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Follow-up question, can I pick his team?

TIA

19. CardinalVol

Fall practice in pads starts tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You know, you DON'T wear the pads, right?

Right?