Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Nice finish, Butch.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah, my 7 year old rbs fumbled twice. Killed us. It was just haliarious watching the parents celebrate.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is why I stopped betting 7 under football. Kids don't know to keep pressure on both points of the ball.

lumberjack4 likes this.
  4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Throwing the kids under the bus. Full Butch.

justingroves and droski like this.
  5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Starts with coaching.

6. CardinalVol

This Virginia LLWS team is absolutely loaded.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Dude. And they cant be 13 this year. I watched Curacao beat the shit out of Australia yesterday.
    Leadoff kid told the announcers he led Curacao in deep shots grand slams and to let everyone know, then proceeded to lay down a nasty bunt for a base hit to lead off

8. CardinalVol

Japan also seems loaded, as always.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Drafted my guys last night. First time as the head man in kid pitch, so we will see how it goes. I've got one pitcher that I know and 3 kids that can catch, and we will see about the rest.

I also have 3 that I drafted solely on age and shirt size.

droski likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

Pretty sure one of our MLBs got tackled about every play by one of their linemen. Ridiculous.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That's called technique

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fielding of my fall baseball team is awful. feels like i'm back in tball. board wanted me to move my kids up to kid pitch and i didn't think they were ready. now i'm starting to think they were right.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My son has zero desire to play any organized sports. He will stay outside with me all day playing baseball/basketball/soccer in the yard, but shuts down as soon as I suggest signing him up. I'm of the opinion that I should sign him up to try it, because I'm about 95% sure he would love it. My wife, however, has dug in on the "not gonna force him to play" stance. Quite the conundrum.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how old is he? my kids have never once complained about going to a practice or a game for any sport. they love it. and they aren't exactly future all stars either.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

6.5. He's decent at baseball and basketball and loves to play them both, but no desire to be on a team. He'll even play with friends at school and on the weekends, but joining an actual team is a no go as far as he's concerned.

16. Ssmiff

He may just lack confidence. My opinion is if hes got a gift as in can run, throw, catch, has good hand -eye coordination, etc,
    tell him he has a couple of gifts and needs to use them. He may just lack confidence. I'd consider grabbing some of his buddies and coaching a rec team. Practice is playing with friends anyway then you can make sure his first experience isn't with some dude he doesn't know

utvol0427 likes this.
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my boys just turned 7. best to get him on a team now to see if he likes it. it's going to be a tough go to add him when he's older when you have kids that have played for years on the same team with him. especially for baseball. even though he's played in the back yard, it's still a big transition. i can tell you because i have kids on my little league team who have never played and it is a big struggle unless they are supremely talented. the struggle might make him not like being on a team just because he's not as good as the other kids, so best to try it out as early as possible.

utvol0427 likes this.
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is good advice. i have had kids come from rec leagues and it's a lot less competitive and there are a lot more kids who haven't played on those teams.

19. Ssmiff

Gotta be doing something imo. Scouts, rec league, martial arts. My 2nd son despises sports. Says people yelling at people about catching a ball look stupid. He went thru a little angry phase about age 9 and jujitsu was great for him to get it all out.

20. CardinalVol

Tell your wife to get over it and get him out there ASAP.

droski likes this.