2019/2020/Triennial Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 31, 2019.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

"They don't pay taxes." IP and Unimane

warhammer, justingroves and Lexvol like this.
  2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Whoever the next guy is, he needs to get Wisconsin's OL coach, and whoever recruits their heavys, at whatever cost.

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Also, after the last search and the fact that Fulmer won't lead a search done this year, I really think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for this search. The SEC won't let us hire Freeze, or probably even Petrino. Babers won't come here. Kendall Briles might if the wheels really come off in Tallahassee, but at that point, is he any better? Sumlin won't come. Cutcliffe won't come. I honestly think Miles would rather stay in Kansas. Pelini and Bielema would jump at the job IMO, but Bielema is a retread at best. Maybe Will Healy but he's still young. Maybe interim Tee and see if he can pull it together? Maybe Jim Bob would answer the phone if its for the HC position?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Slow white guys from Wisconsin?

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Worked out great for Arkansas... wait, nvm.

Pruitt isn’t going anywhere guys. Not unless he leaves on his own. This is the new reality... we suck. We’ve sucked for over a decade now and we’ll suck for at least another decade. Being a Tennessee football fan requires you to embrace the suck because that’s what it’s going to be from now on. It’s not like we can hire a Saban, Meyer or somebody like that and be back in the title hunt in two years. The program is burning to death and the only folks with water are drinking it all while they watch it burn.

chef65 likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Nothing is wrong with this program that upping the payments to student athletes won’t solve.

warhammer and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Need to pay em by the win.

justingroves and lylsmorr like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I don't think it is that simple. Or at least not exclusively that simple. But maybe it is, what the [uck fay] do I know? I thought we would win 8 games.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Wasn't aware you needed much more than that for offensive linemen.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You need athletic large men to win anything important

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Well, I for one am thrilled to learn that the humiliating, early season catastrophe is only due to a lack of effort. Clearly there’s nothing to worry about.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

lining up completely wrong isn't merely lack if effort. they either don't know or I don't even know what.

14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

At this point, my conspiracy theory is that the Defensive Asst Coaches [uck fay]ing hate Pruitt and are using their newly granted autonomy to sabotage him.

There is no way that our D coaches are actually TRYING to coach right now.

15. ziv1173

ziv1173 Member

Both of them are damning. And red flags against that Pruitt is the guy.

Good teams will often come out flat against inferior opponents, get their ass chewed out at halftime, and turn it around in the second half. We looked even more disinterested in the second half than the first half. Motivating the team is a huge part of the HC's job, and Pruitt hasn't shown anything special in regards to that here. You can argue Auburn and KY last year, but KY is our [itch bay] and we caught Auburn luckily. I think we've seen far more disinterested/unmotivated team play than the opposite. Strike one.

Lining up correctly, much less even playing consistently, is a whole other red flag. It reeks of putrid organization/fundamental ability to teach. Which is mind-numbing given that's what Pruitt was supposedly known for. Defensive genius, ability to teach, motivates the players - that's what Pruitt was billed as. It isn't what he is here, though. We struggle to execute the most basic of skills and plays. And there is no excuse for it. This is year two. Brand new coaches with (in theory) less talented teams are making them play better than the shit we put out on the field. Strike two.

What's more concerning than all of this (which is concerning enough, to be fair) is his demeanor. He looks like he doesn't give a shit. He talks like he doesn't give a shit. He looks like he regrets taking the job and he's in far deeper than he ever imagined. He looks and sounds like he's given up, honestly. Which is the most likely what led to that performance on Saturday. It isn't the only possible thing, but it's the most likely. I guess we'll find out against BYU. But if he's mailed it in, the team certainly has too. And it will be clearer than day.

16. gotohellsaban

gotohellsaban New Member

... What if Fulmer threw $15 Million at Urban Meyer though? I don't think it's certain that he'd want to coach at a private school like USC. This could be our pipe dream for the next coaching search.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, I'll take getting beat by Georgia State with Pruitt than winning with Urban Meyer as HC. Anyone that dreams about Urban coming to Knoxville needs to be beaten with a pipe.

Savage Orange and justingroves like this.
  18. gotohellsaban

gotohellsaban New Member

I'm ready to throw out all principles as a Tennessee fan if we have even a chance of landing him as coach.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

lol, no way. not going down that road.

let's say saban can be had for 12 million and somehow UT had the money no problem. I'd take him. how about you, "gotohellsaban?" I assume you would too. which leads me to think your dislike of urban in the past, assuming you did have dislike, was not really based on anything principled to begin with.

no, I am not okay with hiring Meyers, or Briles, or anyone else that has been associated with looking the other way/covering up serious crimes. I want to win badly, but I am not willing to compromise that. other things, but not that.

Real women with real dads and real moms and real siblings and hell sometimes real children of their own go to school there. I'm not for bringing on campus leaders that can't be trusted to watch out for their wellbeing without hesitation.

JohnnyQuickkick, kmf600 and utvol0427 like this.
  20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'd rather have Jim Tressel.