Pruitt on the start of the season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 9, 2019.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

"Throw game" was about enough to piss me off.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'm still not sold it's all his fault.

He may end up failing miserably, I dont know, but time will tell through this season on how he handles everything moving forward. Big question will be can or will he make a QB change? Becsuse I believe that is the biggest issue we have to date.

Oldvol75 likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

GS was on him and staff for lack of prepararion, plan and adjustments.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

No doubt. Team also didn't bring it for the GS game, but that goes back to the coaches ultimately not having them ready.

The same cant be said for the BYU game, however. Just average QB play would have had us a 30-3 type score.

Oldvol75 and Ssmiff like this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was on the ledge after that one. The entirety of the BYU game backed me off it somewhat. The QB situation going forward is something. I’m in agreement with everybody that #2 sucks. I just don’t know enough about what’s behind him and I never believe it couldn’t be worse.

justingroves, Ssmiff and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. Ssmiff

Shellshocked. Gooden goes down, bituli (which my phone changes to botulism), #20, and your allstar practice QB looks like New Coach when the whistle blows. Add preparing like they were playing a HS team with next to zero film study and anticipation. Perfect storm of suck.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If he really doesn't trust what's behind Guarantano and continues to play him, not having a second capable quarterback is on Pruitt. Squarely.

8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This. What’s even more unforgivable is having one and not playing him.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

it will still be awkward to have lost these games even if we finish with 6 or 7 wins

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I felt this was a 6-7 win team from the off. I don’t see them sniffing 6 or 7 having dropped those two gimmes

11. Ssmiff

when he was speaking the other day, he mentioned they planned on playing all 3 qbs the first 2 games, how JG is the better player at practice, but "you gotta see what players do when the lights are on". I think he may have been a little scared of pulling JG, him pouting, some in locker room causing a stink as 2 kids just quit. Not saying that's the right choice, as I would have told him to transfer last year and gone wildcat before putting my career in his hands. Just saying imo, some of that factors into his decisions, as well as trying to show the team, young guys, and recruits that he has all his players' backs.
    I'm just guessing of course. Trying to make sense of not pulling him.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

me neither, I'm just saying beating South Carolina won't negate one of these.

Savage Orange and lylsmorr like this.
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He didn't pull him like he thought because he thought we would have a huge lead

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Beating Florida would be a solid start. Georgia or Alabama would change my mind altogether of course... none of this will happen though. As it stands, any SEC team not named Kentucky or Vanderbilt that doesn’t beat UT by at least 14 points should withhold the coaches salary/extension for next year.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Going back and looking at the stats of the Utah (14th ranked) vs BYU game, the stats were not a lot different than they were vs UT.

UT and Utah both out gained BYU and won TOP. BYU won the turnover battle against us 1-0 (led to a TD) and lost it 0-3 to Utah (led to 3 TDs)

UT didn't play great on either side of the ball and was still up 10 until JG finally got one of the defenders to catch a pass.

16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Every shot I see of him he looks bewildered. He does not value every game like his career depends on it. He thinks he can recruit his way out of it but he has to play chess in the meantime. I don’t see it. And it’s a huge doofus move to play a QB that doesn’t give you a shot to win. It isn’t Guarantano’s fault that he is in the game.

17. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

That’s dumb. You don’t have to yell to be desperate to win. But Shawn Elliot sweat his [breasts] off to get the win. Jeez, show up like you care. Not talking about ranting. And we are 0-fer against Muschamp.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is also wildly speculative. Overboard, in my opinion. He looks focused but in control of his emotions in the game. He rips into players when he needs to but doesn't go psychopath like Muschamp.

I want to see Maurer or Shrout but it's very possible they're worse, and thus the reason for no change.

He's had a shit start to the season and that's his fault. No need to lump this baseless garbage on him too.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Speaking of dumb. Shawn Elliott had a mobile quarterback that ate the defense up for three quarters. His antics on the sideline had little to do with it.

warhammer and Ssmiff like this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've seen him rip Guarantano several times. He nearly pulled Austin Pope's head off last year after a personal foul. He came unglued on Theo Jackson Saturday. He had to be held back by assistants last year at Auburn. He's kicked several white boards.

He may fail miserably here, but he's plenty emotional.

hohenfelsvol likes this.