Pruitt: “Our football team is 100 times better than it was this time last year. "

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DownNDirty, Sep 25, 2019.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don’t think anyone will argue he took over after two consecutive morons. That does give a handicap and makes last year’s 5-7 more understandable. He’s had 1.5 classes to get guys in that he deems able. A five star dl transfer, multiple jucos, got a five star lineman back, added two five star offensive linemen that would start at 95% of programs from day 1. That’s all well and good.

Problem is he is in year two and the team actually looks worse. An inexcusable loss to a cupcake and not being able to show a pulse against a very average Florida team is inexcusable

TimRoo likes this.
  2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

This reads straight out of VN.

I'm on the fire Pruitt bandwagon, but it's because the coaching searches have been the only source of excitement related to this football team for the past 10 years. I don't care about winning anymore, I just want to be entertained. Bring me more disfunction and chaos.

VOLinDAWGland and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

If we have even average QB play over the past 4 games do you really think our record is 1-3? 2-2 at absolute worse and likely 3-1 IMO

The biggest negative about this team is the QB position which just happens to be the most important position on the team.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Who does it fall on to make sure positions of need are filled?

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS likes this.
  5. InVolNerable

We also let Adrian Martinez go.

zehr27, chavisut and lylsmorr like this.
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This is year three of the Guarantano era. Wasn’t hard to foresee you’d need to start finding his replacement the day you were hired.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also let Trey Knox and Wilhoite go. Knox is having a comparable season to Jennings so far and Wilhoite was a take for Oregon. We landed some guy that was headed to GA State and might be about to quit the team. All this when we are desperate for receivers after this season.

8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Who’s responsibility is it to make sure sure that your quarterback is halfway decent? Why didn’t Pruitt try and land a grad transfer? Why did he slow play other high school quarterbacks last year?

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He wasn't exactly bad last year. I mean, he didn't have an OL and actually looked at least average last year when given a chance.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk what to do but I probably have more faith in Pruitt putting it together than in UT hiring a better coach.

11. InVolNerable

The strength of schedule.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

chavisut likes this.
  12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He’s been bad all three years. He just didn’t throw many picks last year. He got lucky that Auburn inexplicably played so much man coverage.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You're thinking of Florida State and Willie Taggart

Screenshot-2019-09-07-18.57.41.png

JohnnyQuickkick likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The oline has played pretty well, especially pass blocking. There's only been a handful of busts through 4 games.

BigOrangeBeech and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Amen. OL has been a breath of fresh air.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's 100% on Pruitt

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS likes this.
  17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yep. Have to pin dreams of a better year next year on a 18 year old, with offers from everywhere, holding to his pledge. Easier to do through 4 weeks, difficult through a few months.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chaney and Friend have done a good job there. It would be nice to see if the receivers are better, but there's a qb problem.

Tight ends other than Pope actually attempt to block.

Emerson has played well in the center of the dline.

To'oto'o is lost in pass coverage at times, but is going to be a stud. Bituli has made a difference since he came back too.

The dbs haven't been good, they've looked confused most of the time.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He committed to Tennessee after a 5-7 season when Tennessee didn't have an offensive coordinator. He may believe in Pruitt, be it right or wrong. His other choice was Michigan, who's having an awesome season too.

There's also Kasim Hill

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He also may not. A historically bad season isn't likely to help. I would bet he was sold some kind of progress for this year.