1 Seeds

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kptvol, Mar 3, 2019.

1. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

On a neutral floor out West.

2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I’m almost ok with a 2 though. *Places chip squarely on shoulder*

warhammer likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

CBS bracketology this morning has us as a 2... in the West.

If we get shipped out West as a 2 with a 30-4 record, in the same region where the 1 seed is a team we [uck fay]ing beat...

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The credibility of this whole seeding process is on the line, for me personally.

If we are a 2, then Cotton is right and tournaments don't really affect seeding.

tvolsfan and Indy like this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The “quadrant 1 and quadrant 2” wins and losses thing is a bull shit system created by con artists looking for an opportunity to push an agenda.

It offers enough options that you can make an argument for the team you want, no matter what. Want to say Team A is better than Team B? Just point out quadrant 1 record! If quadrant 1 record doesn’t prove the point, go ahead and add in quadrant 2! A lot of times, that won’t prove it either, but by that point, the records will be close enough that you can claim “eye test” overcomes the gap.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Like, do people not realize that saying “quadrant 1 and 2” record defeats the entire purpose of a system created to separate wins and losses into separate categories?

Look at a team’s quadrant 1 records. If necessary, look at their quadrant 2 records. There is no situation where it makes sense to look at their “quadrant 1 and 2” records because it essentially equates the 2.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Astute observation

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

But there are teams with great Quad 1 records and bad Quad 2 records. Do you weigh the better than a team with a bad or small Quad 1 record and mediocre or good Quad 2 record?

The issue is and always will be unbalanced scheduling. Therefore, not every comparison needs to follow the same exact formula, e.g. "just quad 1, then work back"

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Quad 1 is too big. Significant difference between losing on the road to a top 10 team versus losing to the 70th ranked team, yet both are “quad 1” games.

lylsmorr and IP like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nominating sextiles? You dog.

JT5 likes this.
  11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

No matter how anybody looks at it, we have a far better resume than Gonzaga. There’s no way to skew it in their favor.

RockyHill and IP like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Team A: 31-2

SOS: 87
    Won conference season and tournament
    Q1: 6-2
    Q2: 10-0

Team B: 30-3

SOS: 81
    Won conference season, lost tournament
    Q1: 4-3
    Q2: 6-0

One of these teams is projected as a 1 seed by most. The other as a 3 seed. Which do you think looks like the better team? I can add more metrics if requested.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Suppose I’d give edge to A for winning its tournament. But resumes are virtually identical.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep. Team A Houston. Team B is Gonzaga. I am arguing that they are not much different, and the only reason Gonzaga is in a conversation for a 1 is because of their preseason ranking and profile.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Eye test, “bro.”

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The eye test is bullshit.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Gonzaga’s win over Duke is the only thing keeping them in the conversation.

Who is Houston’s best win?

Edit: it looks like LSU

18. Dalekanium

Dalekanium Chieftain

I think it’s also because they beat Duke. It all comes back to some way to talk about Zion and Duke.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jay Bilas just said he's already decided that Gonzaga is better than Tennessee, and they already played. He asked if that made sense.

IT DOES NOT.

20. Dalekanium

Dalekanium Chieftain

Well, [uck fay] him.