113th United States Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Jun 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm giddy. Hopefully the rain holds off up there, so the greens aren't too soft for these guys. Merion is a short layout, but so was Olympic last year when Webb Simpson won it at +1. The rough is supposed to be the most penal it's been in years at a US Open. I also think the length is a bit deceptive, considering one par 3 is 115 yards and the other three are 240+.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I can't wait. Should be a good year.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Matt Kuchar may just win this thing. Fake ass smile and all.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, I don't get as pumped for this one. I dunno, making the course as tough ans humanly possibly to try to bring these guys to their knees isn't as appealing as the others IMO.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Makes it all the better. Biggest test of a golfer's game is being able to adjust.

6. hallowed_hill

You're welcome to gtfo. The toughest test in golf is not for everyone. But don't worry, the LPGA tees it back up next week.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Lol. Well done.

8. CardinalVol

I just prefer to see what mother nature throws at them at Murfield next month as opposed to a greenskeeper who beats off on 5 foot par putts missed.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Merion is a beautiful golf course, and a difficult test of golf, but traffic will be insane trying to get in and out of there. It was sort of a surprise they awarded the Open there given some of the logistical concerns of trying to bring people in and out of the area. I guess they'll use the train lines a lot.

Enjoy the flag sticks. Unusual but cool.

10. mmmjtx

mmmjtx Member

What's going to be interesting is how today's technology will measure up to an old course like Merion. Perhaps if the winning score is double digits under par (possible,if the course is wet), perhaps the USGA will finally start thinking about the golf ball instead of worrying about belly putters.

11. hallowed_hill

They'll bus in all of the spectators. Still a lot of traffic for players, workers, VIP's, etc.

12. hallowed_hill

13. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

It's not the greenskeeper. The USGA comes in months in advance and completely takes over. From rough height to pin placements, it's all on the USGA. They have almost killed several greens in past U.S. Opens.

14. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I'll be pulling for the players that decided to play at the FESJC this past week in Memphis most notably Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson. It would be nice if they did well because if so, they'll be more likely to return to Memphis. I think this was the first time Phil has played here.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm for Ernie. I like Ernie.

16. CardinalVol

I know.......I was trying to make a joke........

17. CardinalVol

Serious note, did Stallings qualify?

18. hallowed_hill

Yep.

19. hallowed_hill

Oh wait.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Second or third time.