13 years ago...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Jan 4, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I remember that one, too. Same score as UT's championship game. Not as happy this time. Especially because I was having a surprise birthday party at the time.

2. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Was 11. Remember watching the game and flipping to Nitro during commercials. That was the same night as the Finger Poke of Doom between Nash and Hogan.

3. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

The week before the game, my parents were moving into a house that they were building themselves about 2-3 months early because a family of skunks decided to die in the furnace of our old house. We had two old recliners that my grandparents brought over and an older than dirt TV with an antenna because we didn't have cable or satellite yet at the house. However, it was the best viewing experience of my life. They had just hooked up a sound system that went throughout the house and we were able to listen to John Ward call the game while we were watching it.

I also remember the next afternoon going to the grocery store and grabbing up some Tostito TN NC chips. I never thought at that moment it would ever be like this to be a UT fan.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was glad it snowed. I was going to have to take 3 days off from work. We drove from Kingsport to Las Vegas to Tempe to Flagstaff back to Kingsport in 5 days. Would kill me to do that now. We spent 2 partial nights in a motel. The rest were on the road. Luckily we were out the entire week due to snow, so I could recover. I went to bed at 6:30 the evening we got back and woke up around 1:30-2 pm the next day.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I can remember while we were moving that it rained or snowed on the little tv that was gonna go in my room, and my parents being pissed off because it got left out in the rain.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I was 11, and I never had a doubt in my mind that we were winning it. I bought so many national title t-shirts that I literally wore one every day for the next two years. Definitely too young to fully appreciate that being a national title contender every year wasn't just what it was like to be a Tennessee fan.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I agree with Jay. You guys make me feel old. Enjoy your 20s boys. The best years of your life, imo, jmho.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I was snowed in without power and had the flu, good times.

9. JayVols

Will vouch for that.

10. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

True fan.

You'd have to pay me a pretty good amount to even think about making that trip. And I still wouldn't do it.

11. JayVols

Thanks. Been called not a true fan and a negavol often on toos. Refreshing to be called a true fan for a change.

My father-in-law convinced me to go. I asked him what he thought. Told me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, I was young, and should do it. Totally out of character for him. With the state of the program now, looks like he was right on the once in a lifetime thing.

Was very tiring, but was an amazing experience seeing that much of the country that I would have otherwise never had the opportunity. Would kill me now. I will say that I know what Clark Griswold meant when he was discussing the horrible smell in the car on long journeys with Roy Wally of Wallyworld in Vacation...

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Cant wait for us to return to NC status. GBO!!!

13. JayVols

I'll drink to that!

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My two boys were 10 and 7. We all sat down to watch the game. As they sat down I got up and went to my bedroom. I brought out two of my old game jerseys that they had never seen before. I didn't want them tore up by the little guys while they were young. I asked them if they wanted to wear them during the game, they gladly put them on and we watched to the bitter end! They are VFL from that moment on.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Did you play for both Battle and Johnny?

16. Oldvol75

2 years for each

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

So you played with Condredge and Seviers? Two of the All-Timers.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I really hope my 20's aren't the best years of my life. All I have done is work towards the future.

19. Oldvol75

Not Condredge, when he was a senior, I was a senior in HS. I know him because he use to always come back when he was finished in Canada. Seviers was one of the best. Stanley Morgan, Mickey Marvin, Andy Spiva, Robert Shaw, etc........