14 Dead, 50 injured in CO theater shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Jul 20, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Recently released inmates at Arapahoe Detention Center in Colorado are saying the only thing the inmates still inside can talk about ... is killing James Holmes ... this according to a new report.

Wayne Medley told the NY Daily News, "All the inmates were talking about killing him. Everyone was looking for an opportunity. It's all they could talk about."

The paper says Holmes is in solitary confinement and was placed on suicide watch. Another inmate, Dima Damalov, told the paper that if Holmes was released into the general population he wouldn't "live to see Monday's court appearance."

A jail employee said Holmes "hasn't shown any remorse" while an unidentified inmate told the paper, "He was spitting at the door and spitting at the guards. He's spitting at everything. Dude was acting crazy."

Holmes is due in court for the first time on Monday. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

IP, to get my bearings straight, are you and this dipshit at the same school or are they different?

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This kid was at UC-Denver, which is not to be confused with CU-Boulder. I don't think IP attends either, but I'll let him tell you where he goes lest it's a secret.

4. CardinalVol

I know where ip is, I just didn't know if they were the same school

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I got to the University of Denver, which will be hosting the first presidential debate and is the alma mater of Condoleeza Rice.

6. CardinalVol

Ok, didn't know if it was two names for same school or something like that.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nope CU-Boulder is the flagship of the state system, along with Colorado State in Fort Collins.

CU-Denver is sort of a UT-Chattanooga type satellite. It does have a med school, and that is where this guy was working on a graduate degree in neuroscience. The med school's campus is in Aurora. My school is a private school, and the oldest university in the state. Believe it or not, it started out as a seminary. Yikes.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Also not to be confused with Denver Seminary, home of one of the best New Testament scholars anywhere in Craig Blomberg.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. CardinalVol

Dang, i was expecting the first crazy politician comment to be that attacks like this would happen all the time under Romney.

11. CardinalVol

Well, so did most of the ivy leagues schools, start as seminaries that is.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is my understanding that currently in Aurora it is unlawful to carry a concealed "dangerous weapon," discharge firearms, unless by law enforcement on duty or on shooting range, and have loaded firearm in motor vehicle.

Unfortunately, Bad Guys don't care about the Law.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're saying shooting in that theater was illegal? Somebody call CNN.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

We'll be hearing from the vocal and ignorant portions of the Left on Monday, I expect.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It's surprising that Tennessee darn near leads the country in violent gun crimes per capita.

One map I saw was basically Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee all high...then a lump out toward Nevada, Arizona then Montana and Alaska as well.

I don't know what the difference was, but Tennessee and South Carolina were highest in another I saw.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why? Lowest education rates, relatively poor population, prominent gun culture. Sounds like a formula.

18. CardinalVol

No lie, i was going to post a projected timeline of the next 7 days last night and just never did. Had this penciled in for Monday.

19. TennTradition

I suspect he was commenting on the fact that the amount of people who concealed carry in Colorado is irrelevant if Aurora says its illegal...giving more fuel to the fire of "what if folks had been carrying?"

I will say from the interviews I've heard, there were a bunch of people in the front that *could* have gotten a shot off had they had a weapon...however, I'm not sure if they could have gotten an angle that wasn't to the portion of his body that was covered in armor.

I usually don't get to up in arms (pun actually not intended) about the "if only someone had been concealed carrying." But, I did want to correct some of the things that were said earlier. He came in by the screen and was shooting toward the top..so he would have been between the screen and the audience - not the other way around.

20. TennTradition

It's interesting that Michigan isn't higher, to me. But, Michigan was quite low. Also, surprising that Texas wasn't higher. Just perceptions...