'16 NJ QB Jarrett Guarantano

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by zero-sum, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Why would a verbal from a '17 guy have any impact on a '16 guy?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess if he were afraid that an incoming freshman would beat him out for the second string job behind Dormady... or something. Ya, doesn't seem like a deep concern.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Guarantano will be a Vol.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Is that a... Guaran-tee?

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

To play devil's advocate --- for instance, FL (which is what started the rumblings so they'll be the example) has Harris, Oregon St transfer Del Rio, a 3* QB committed this class, did not sign one in '15, signed Grier in '14, and Staver in '13. One could argue theirs is a better situation.

Do I think he's a Vol? Yes. Do kids change their minds? Yes. As with any recruit the only sure thing is having signed paperwork in hand

That said there's six plus months 'til NSD

6. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He's an EE I believe so it'll be December.

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

The last sentence was a general comment. I do remember this past spring, April iirc, Rival's Friedman had said that JG wanted and was working toward becoming an EE, that's the last I've heard on the subject.

From a signing perspective the difference (EE vs NSD) is minimal. Practice time is where the impact is made.

8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Even better

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Two fewer months for other schools to convince a kid to go elsewhere.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

True.

Though the exception, kids have changed their mind (sometimes more than once) the day of. There's always "that" chance / risk. Given that typically the time invested (both by families and coaches) during the recruiting process can span two to five yrs, that six to eight week period between when a commit can sign as an EE vs. NSD is, by comparison, a drop in the bucket.

11. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

It's not "a drop in the bucket" when the last 6-8 weeks arguably have more impact than the previous 2-5 years in some kids' experiences.

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Arguably more impact? How?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

How does one measure that? How can you tell?

14. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

The final months of recruiting are notorious for kids flipping. Coaches putting more emphasis on certain recruits due to no football during January/February. Coaches missing on their initial targets and offering the secondary targets.

15. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Flipping I addressed. The rest is part of the experience but by no means does it "arguably have more impact". For years coaches devote time to kindle and build relationships with both parents and prospects. The last two - three months is closing time.

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

[​IMG]

That's huge, mods feel free to adj size. TIA :hi:

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

He looks older than he is.

18. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Please. The amount of recruiting in terms of communication multiplies exponentially over the course of the last two months. To act like it has an equal impact as any other timeframe without any kind of broad exception is disingenuous

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Does the process intensify? Absolutely, hence "closing time". Does it "arguably have more impact" than the preceding (two to five) yrs having initiated and nurtured the (coach - player / family) relationship? No, and to think otherwise would be disingenuous

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  20. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

This is exactly the same thing, semantically, as saying it's more impactful. I greatly anticipate your next post saying you disagree, then lobbing hollow words with prayers that a point will be made.

Players each year flipping to X school after holding a scholarship offer for 2 days during the final weeks of recruitment begs differently. My whole comment centered around it happening in special circumstances, and I'm not surprised to see you missing that distinction.