2012 Redo

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Go back to the 2012 coaching search. Suppose our administration cocks things up with Gruden again. What does your wish list look like?

Constraints:

1. Feel free to use hindsight.
    2. But keep it reasonable--don't post someone who has exploded in the last two years that you would've hated as a candidate in 2012.
    3. Try to limit to people who would actually come to UT (obviously, this requires some speculation)

This came to mind mostly because I realized that all my favorite non-Gruden candidates from back in 2012 have kinda stunk. That class of coaching hires has really struggled. Dykes has turned around Cal's dumpster fire but hasn't made them a real winner, MacIntyre has improved Colorado, but not made them a winner. Hazell and Taggart have done jack. Obviously, Malzahn had an SEC title, but I don't think he was ever an option here. Apart from him, you're probably looking at Bielema and Dave Doeren as the most successful BCS coaches. Which is. . . bad. On a related note, I think the performances of guys like Taggart, Hazell, Golden (from a year earlier), etc. really give warning not to lend much credence to a coach who turns a horrible team into a good team. A lot of guys who can do that seem to be crap at taking that next step at a bigger school. Anyways, who you got?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Dykes hasn't turned around jack shit.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

4. Tar Volon

I mean, Cal is better than they were in 2012. At least they look better from looking at their schedule--I haven't really watched their games. But I'm not exactly high on Dykes. I wouldn't want him here, and I don't blame you if you don't want him there.

5. Tar Volon

Went 6-7 in year three, lost to South Carolina this year. I suspect folks here would be eating him alive at UT. (which doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best available options).

6. OrangeEmpire

Who are we really talking about that were viable options?

[​IMG]

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

prior 3 years that got tedford fired: 5-7, 7-6, 3-9

dykes 3 years: 1-11, 5-7, 6-6 (likely record)

he's also never beaten Stanford, ucla, usc, or Oregon and has a average margin of loss of 23 points in those games. he's never beaten a top 25 team and has only beaten one team with a winning conference record (WSU this year). oh and he recruits like shit. his prior 3 recruiting classes are the worst in over a decade at cal.

8. Tar Volon

point taken.

9. OrangeEmpire

Want Butch?

10. OrangeEmpire

Herman even on the radar?

[​IMG]

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

butch at least can recruit. but no. I want kiffin or orgeron. or fuente or herman (but neither are probably realistic at this point).

12. OrangeEmpire

Is there legit talk that Dykes gets the can?

13. Tar Volon

Not sure if Herman would've been remotely on the radar in 2012. He was one year removed from being Iowa State's OC. Cut really might've been the best option, although I do have to repeat my warning to myself about putting too much stock in turning a horrible team into a good team. It's not the same as turning a team like UT into a great one.

14. OrangeEmpire

The home run?????

[​IMG]

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there is a strong current going against him. if he loses out i'd say it's probable. but Oregon state is so bad I imagine he squeaks that out. there are rumors he wants out (similar to butch) and I can't see him getting a meaningful extension at this point baring wining out which ain't happening. virtually the entire two deep will be gone next year and he has to know he's going to get fired after next season when he goes 3-9 or 4-8, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him take a shittier job and he's a good bullshitter and can play the lack of administrative support card as his reason for leaving (something his agent has already been leaking to the media). he apparently tried to get the Houston job last year. purdue might still want him too.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He'd had 1 year at fOSU, albeit a pretty good one. His previous 3 years as OC at Iowa State he was 90th, 97th, and 103rd in PPG (Progress I guess).

I think that falls under #2

17. OrangeEmpire

Maybe Old Lane will roam the Cal sidelines.

18. OrangeEmpire

#2 for what?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd take Cut in a heartbeat over this moron

20. OrangeEmpire

I would have liked to have seen the staff old Cut would have assembled.