2014 Football Commits (on-going) Tracker

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by zero-sum, May 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He could have been, is what I meant. He was the best route runner and had the best hands. He was lazy and didn't put in near as much work as Swain or Meachem.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

3. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Beast.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Swain had more receiving yds than Smith but didn't have a TD catch in either '03 & '05. Smith on the other hand, he led the team in TD catches in '04 and tied for the lead in '05. He missed 3or gms iirc in '03 due to injury.

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Another good pair.

Yep, '01 I believe

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

This. The thumb injury in '03 was a factor

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Swain was better. I'm surprised anyone even thinks otherwise. Swain and Meachem each had serious injuries while on campus. Didn't stop them from being first and second string.

And as far as hands go Swain was literally the only guy on the team in 2005 that could catch a pass.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

There's no need to defend Swain, his talent and contribution to the team are known. All three were valuable

As to injury, iinr Swain missing any significant time throughout his career. Meachem RS in '03 due to the knee injury / surgery. Smith suffered the thumb injury / surgery in '03 and a concussion in '06 both resulted in missed gms.

I do disagree with your last statement. Take another look at '05 season stats, all three were similar in number of receptions.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He also didn't give a shit. He was lazy unless Tennessee was in the redzone or playing Arkansas.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I think that saying he "didn't give a shit" is a bit harsh. I believe it more that he did not motivate as easily as Meach and Swain (another similar comparison would be Henderson and Haynesworth). Lazy unless near the red-zone or Arky? Hmm, disagree here as well. He had some of his best gms against Alabama (esp '06), Florida, Georgia and LSU. As for red-zone, you touched on it above he was called on because of his ability to disengage from the defender, good hands and route running.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The people that played with him all laughed about how much he didn't care if he wasn't scoring or playing the home team.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Was going to say he could have been All American if every game had been against Arky.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

That may be true. I am not discounting or dismissing this nor am I championing Smith. That said, we're losing sight of my OP.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes we are. We need to be talking about what a great class butch has assembled

15. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Not what I meant, but okay.

Actually, referring to my OP #219 that began this little banter

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Missed this in my earlier response. Yes, thanks, meant Nash. lol
    I'll edit.

17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Welcome, Charles Mosley, commit #33.

Will get a shot on D but would not be surprised if he becomes an OG.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Is anyone surprised that Stoops is sitting on a top 15 class at UK?? I didn't realize that until just now ... was pretty shocked.

19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

No, they had great start and hes a good recruiter.

20. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor