2014 Football Schedule: Random Predictions

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Tune in.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

So you have hopes on a turn around with QB play?

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

They may only need to score 24 points to prove you wrong

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha. i did notice phil steele has them #4 preseason. I was very surprised to see them that high. though he says a big reason for that is that they have an easy schedule.

5. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Problem is the sooners are spastic. They crushed people while barely beating WV and losing to Texas. I could see them beating us by 3 tds, only losing by 10 or seeking out an upset.

6. Tenacious D

A turn-around on our QB play?
    If so, then no. We have one legit D1-level QB on the roster in Dobbs, and even then, he is neither talented nor experienced enough to overcome our many other inefficiencies, elsewhere. And, I don't think he starts against Oklahoma, anyway, or even takes a significant number of snaps. It'll be safe-and-steady-Worley running the ol' "no-option-read-option". To further a guess, I'd say that Hurd and Lane will be running the ball on upwards of 80% of all offensive plays, no matter what the score may be at any given point in the game.

If you meant to ask if I thought that OU would have a turn-around at QB, instead - then I have no idea, not knowing their status at the QB position. I will say that I think that OU would handily win - even if Worley were to be named the starter for BOTH teams. That's how disparate I believe the teams to be, across the board.

Again, I would LOVE to be wrong - and would gladly eat all of the crow I'm given - but I don't think I am, with what we now know / is in front of us. JMHO.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Drives me nuts when they rate teams like that. That's not the point of a rating.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

me too, but if he's trying to predict the final ap poll you have to factor it in. teams get absolutely zero benefit from playing tough schedules anymore.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The BCS is gone, but that was a huge problem with the polls it used. Trying to predict where teams will finish rather than ranking who is actually the best does exactly the opposite of what the polls were intended to do. Just doubly reinforces the benefits of having a weak schedule.

Of course, the geniuses filling out polls that way would be the first ones to jump on how horrible of a system it was.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm willing to bet the people doing the college championship poll wont have the balls to significantly deviate from the AP and coaches poll. for instance if oklahoma is undefeated and say oregon has one loss, I very much doubt oregon gets ranked higher even despite the fact they have something like 8 likely preseason top 25 teams on their schedule.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well, but that makes sense. It's just PAC 10 teams.

12. Tenacious D

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll!

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

michigan state too man!

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Don't see us competing with OU or Bama.

Don't see us beating UGA or USC (Neither of these games should be over at the half however)

Should beat Utah St, Arky St., Chatt, UK, and Vandy (a loss to any in this group is not acceptable)

No reason why we shouldn't get 1 out of UF, Mizzou, and Ole Miss

Im going with 6-6

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm glad you are enjoying at least some aspects of international football.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Signing class finished 8-12.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

We really need 6-6. It is nothing special, but another losing season is going to make '16 class tricky to get on board before we start putting up W's.

18. Tenacious D

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The education I've received, from both yourself and others here, has helped. I at least know which teams are good, and some semblance of an understanding as to why, how their play affects US, etc. So, that's helped.

And I like Klinsmann for some reason.

Now, should they lose, I'll hate him and disown the sport, anew. But that's not really any different than other sports.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll second this sentiment. I even watched the second half of the US - Portugal game (or match or whatever) the other day, and I had a semi-coherent conversation about the sport with my Italian boss who left work to watch Italy - Uruguay today.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[video=youtube;8S230_iGM5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S230_iGM5w&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]