2015 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Except that I know Ryan and played ball with his son in high school. He's not a sanctimonious phony. He is what he portrays and doesn't operate under any false pretenses.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Those are simply the two dumbest. I could have listed any number of recent Duke players.

3. hatvol96

What difference does it make how you get to that number? Nobody made excuses for Huggs when the media kept quoting that zero percent graduation rate without mentioning that Junior college players and transfers, who made up the majority of UC's roster at the time, didn't count for you if they graduated. Every member of the media, save a brave few, spend copious amounts of time finding new and creative ways to fellate The Rat.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. hatvol96

Yes.

5. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

So is Coach K hanging banners now for those who leave early and never graduate? He would not hang the 1990 banner until Brickey and Henderson received their degree.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and I know K. He isn't close to the media portrayal. He's plain about his "back" issues. He had back surgery, but there were other personal issues at the time. He has no reason to be public about those.

Which are the false pretenses that K is operating under?

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

please. He said it's a societal trend, which is absolutely correct.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the duke undergrad graduation rate is the highest it's ever been.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

when has holding the media accountable for its story been important? Guys that foster a bad boy / tough guy / tough team image get rougher media treatment. How is that new or even remotely unexpected? Is that K's fault?

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

so?

What it is among people commanded 7 figure year 1 salaries?

I suspect it's damn near 0 and the people propping it above 0 are former players.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the point he he's completely full of shit to suggest it's a recent societal shift. what was the grad rate 30 years ago among people who commanded 6 figure salaries? I'm going to guess around the same.

12. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

This.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

wanna list the one and dones from 30 years ago?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he wasn't talking about just basketball players. perhaps you need the full context.

“That’s happening not just with athletes, but students who don’t complete four years now,” he said. “After a couple years, they’re so smart, they get involved in different things and they leave. I think it’s more of a trend, not just an athletic trend.”

once again. he's justifying one and done's by saying it's a societal trend which is clearly bullshit.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and btw I couldn't give two shits if he recruits one and dones. just don't give me some bs about how all of a sudden all these one and dones are high character great students and how non athletes are doing it too.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The media portrayal is damn near sainthood, or, at the very least, an impeccable leader of men who would never stoop to the shady level of the charlatans sullying the game of college basketball for their personal benefit. He plays the same shady games as anyone else and then tries to reinforce the media's depiction of him of being above the fray. Isn't this, also, the same dude that told William Avery that he was "trying to **** his program" when Avery decided to declare because his mom lost her job?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's not the point, BPV. K used to look down one-and-dones, leaving before graduation, etc. Now that he's using those players too, he acts like it is a larger societal trend. It isn't. It is one more or less created by the NBA's rule and universities willing to compromise themselves (I'm not making a moral judgement on it, just pointing out that a school's purpose does not jive with "one and done").

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

exactly he went from pretending that not recruiting one and dones put him on the moral high ground. now he's justifying his hypocrisy by claiming things have changed and all of a sudden these guys are scholar athletes and college is filled with a bunch of bill gates.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'd like to see the NBA use the MLB model. Players pick your poison when you get out of HS --go pro or go to college. Teams use the D-League to make sure young players are ready for prime time and that the quality of the NBA game doesn't suffer.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He didn't look down on one and dones, until Maggette and Avery proved themselves "less than great" humans.

He swore off of the one and done player, saw where that got him and decided to live with them. I guess that makes him hypocritical, but it simply makes him practical IMO. You aren't winning without higher end NBA talent any more.