2015 SEC QB's

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zero-sum, Feb 9, 2015.

1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

247 has Dobbs #2 behind MSU's Prescott in returning QB's. Hope he can meet and exceed the expectation. For Tennessee to have good success this season we need him clicking (accuracy, chemistry and timing w/ receivers, decision making, reads, and vision) on all cylinders.

2015 SEC QB's

1. Prescott
    2. Dobbs
    3. Mauk
    4. Towles
    5. Allen

Five intriguing first yr starters
    1. Johnson
    2. Coker
    3. Ramsey
    4. Kelly
    5. Mitch

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Unless he gets more accurate, it may be hard for him to finish the season at number two.

3. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Cannot over emphasize the importance of his being #1 in both Spring and Summer camps. Not having a seasoned QB coach is the one truly troubling factor in his development.

4. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

Yeah he has not had a full off season as the #1 guy. I think his accuracy improves with more time with the #1's.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

hopefully.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

regularly missing open guys by yards is more troubling.

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

It's like the ol' saying which came first chicken or the egg? Throwing is mechanics that's where the seasoned QB coach comes in

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

some of that isn't mechanics. nobody spent any real time on my mechanics until I was much older, but I was still just naturally accurate with the ball. Unless it's mental, some of it will be tough to address.

9. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Maybe you're a natural. :)

Is there a mental aspect? Sure, but throwing accuracy is almost all physical

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

sure. consistent mechanics, repeatable release point and natural ability to gauge speed / distance. The last is a big deal and some people simply don't have it.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I was missing a lot as a QB and therefore sucked, but accuracy I had. NFL teams spend truckloads of money trying to make guys more accurate and rarely do. Wonder why that is?

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He improved tremendously from year one to year two with the offense. Hope the same happens this next year to include his accruacy.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Gauge and speed are mechanics as well.

Grip, setup, delivery and follow through.

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Sounds like timing is part of the issue

Tebow's a good example. Had little to w/ mental more to do with arm strength and the above I mentioned

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

leading a receiver based upon speed, angle and distance isn't really mechanical. It's a vision thing, feel and rhythm to a much larger degree than mechanical.

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Vision and timing (w/ the receiver) --- delivery and follow through

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

some people simply don't have that and won't. Crompton couldn't hit a moving receiver with a telephone pole, but was plenty accurate when we built hooks and stops as our only routes. His was a perfect example of a guy with mechanics built for accuracy but total inability to hit receivers in routes.

18. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Agree, and that's really more a timing thing. Esp when throwing to a specific spot on the field vs hitting in midstride

I wish we lived in close proximity it be great getting together to discuss this and more over a beer and wings or some such

19. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

It'll be interesting to see how much Dobbs improves his accuracy and mechanics between now and the Fall. Dude seems like he at least has the ability to be pretty damn good (with some coaching, of course).

On a side note, I'm guessing Mitch is on there by default. If what I've read/heard on Connor Mitch is accurate, the kid has a work ethic issue. We have a freshman coming in named Lorenzo Nunez that may push him for the spot. The QB spot at Sakerlina is wide-open.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that I agree with. You roll into Philly or I roll into your neck o the woods (or wherever we might meet), I'd love to.

Haven't met many from the site, but I've enjoyed it when I have.