2015 Summer Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 4, 2015.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

"Kahlil McKenzie looks like a defensive end from his waist to his shoulders, but he has the legs of a Triceratops"

RTI Insider

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jt5 has the best description of McKenzie I've read: "He's a mountain of ass and thighs"

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Just saw a picture of him and Tuttle standing beside each other. Both are huge but it's crazy the difference in size down low between the two, and Tuttle is not small at all...

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People are very excited about the speed and athleticism on this team.

6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

It's hard not to be. The difference between Fall Camp 2013 and 2014 was pretty big and honestly there looks to be a bigger jump between 2014 and 2015 than there was prior.

The jump our defense made from '13 to '14 was also something I'm still struggling to comprehend.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It isn't that hard to comprehend.

#ddiapos

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jancek played to his strengths well on defense. He was the exact opposite of Bajakian.

A healthy Maggitt helped too, plus Randolph was 100% from his knee

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's the part that still baffles me and this is a big reason why I haven't given up hope on DeBord.

I was completely underwhelmed with the track record of our defensive staff going into 2014.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Even against Utah State, the difference in speed that first game from 2013 was amazing.

Now ready to just add some depth to it so we're not completely broken and abused by mid October.

11. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I've already resigned to our fate of being a hodgepodge quilt in depth by mid-October.

That's the biggest reasons the Arkansas and Kentucky games scare me.

12. CardinalVol

We're better in that department. Not fully there, but better.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'm completely traumatized after about 10 years of being wafer thin in depth.

Also, I'm hearing that player leadership has really stepped up a notch. Maggitt is the unquestioned team leader but also individual players are taking the helm for their group. I've heard Cam Sutton lit into the 2nd team for not hustling enough and JRM is stepping up as a leader of the LBs.

That's great to see as the best teams in UT's history have usually had great player leadership. Al )(*&#ing Wilson.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Bill Connelly released his stats preview of Tennessee today (and I know how much this board hated it, but I still think he's got some great stuff), and it included quarter splits on his ranking of defenses. He had us as the #6 first quarter defense in the country last year, and the #91 fourth quarter defense. That influx of bodies to fill out a second team cannot come soon enough.

15. CardinalVol

I do think depth is going to be improved accross the board. Are we going to be 3 deep at every position? No. Are we going to be using converted walk on tail backs in the secondary? I don't think so.

16 is the year to go all in about being 90s "back", but there shold be a huge jump this year too just because of added talent depth.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

If this is a 9-3 team, I think '16 will be every bit of a contender.

17. CardinalVol

9-3 is doable. I still have no idea what to expect as a whole though. If DeBord work and o-line can improve though.......man.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's quite a bit of depth at CB, S, and DE. There will actually be 5 DTs that look like SEC players on the roster too (6 if Saulsberry can stay healthy).

Linebacker is scary depth wise.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

9-3 isn't a crazy expectation.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I think it should be the expectation.

8 is the minimum.