2015 Summer Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 4, 2015.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

By next year it should be excellent with all the freshman and sophomores.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree. Kirkland Jr will probably end up being the starter at MLB by season's end but the other two are undersized.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

As many have said, just so used to being let down that I resist the hopes that we'll be good.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The thing keeping me at 8 is the line play. I feel like Robertson will be better, as will Kerbyson. Jackson is who he is, and it just seems like crowder and Kendrick are keeping the seat warm at their spots, and if their backups don't take the job, then that could be bad news

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kendrick was better than Kerbyson or Thomas imo last year.

He got in Butch's dog house and couldn't get out.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I thought Kendrick was one of our better OL.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He didn't look AS BAD as Kerbyson. I can't get past him getting eaten alive by an undersized AkSt DE though.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's better than not touching a defensive end, which happened to Kerbyson and Thomas quite a bit. He at least made contact with the defender.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Who's going to have their black stripe taken off first?

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

8 wins is the floor, if we're heading in the right direction, and no loss by more than 14 points.

But, I can just as easily see 9 wins, as 6. Injuries, the "flow" of the momentum throughout the season, the o-line's improvement - and to what degree, if any, make it almost impossible to confidently pick which way it goes.

9 is feasible. 6 is possible.

And, for the record, I think that the OBC gets us in Knoxville this season, and rides off into the sunset. Not based on anything tangible, but just a gut feeling. As simple-minded as I know that it sounds, and given his sincere and long-standing disdain for Tennessee, I don't see his pride allowing him to leave for good, on a 3-game slide to the Vols. I just don't.

11. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Kamara already has.

But next up is Martin, my guess.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

McKenzie

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Side-note: I love seeing the player leadership on this team. I know we're cynical and beaten down from 10 years of ineptitude, inexplicable losses and outright frustrations... but these kids aren't.

Maggitt, Croom, Sutton, JRM, etc. These guys are stepping up bigtime for us and player leadership is critical.

It's good to see stories like Sutton coming down on his peers for being lazy.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's almost like it's fall camp style optimism.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Mr. Wilson approves.

[​IMG]

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Not to be contentious but I don't recall this amount of player-based give-a-shit any time over the last decade almost. Berry was a great player but he wasn't very vocal. He led by beating the hell out of people but 18-22yo kids respond well to vocal leadership and folks leading by example. It's great to see our best players also vocally leading the team.

In Dooley's era we'd be down by 15 and the players would be smoking and joking on the sidelines and Dooley would just be sitting there... dejected on his stool. The team posture sucked. The team mentality sucked.

This team has a very viscerally different mentality, even separate from 2014 and definitely from 2013. And I am a firm believer that emotional energy leads to motivation which leads to success.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I remember a lot of optimism about people were taking over and being leaders and blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying these guys don't have it, but the optimism meter appears high at the moment.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We're "undefukingfeated" right now, to borrow a term

19. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

It's not really affecting my optimism, per se, but it is definitely a check in the box of things I wanted to see for this year and it's good to see.

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

This time of year it usually is high. But, unless Butch f's it up, there is reason to optimistic. Well, until we're not again.