2017 Signing Day

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Feb 1, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I wonder if he has ever addressed the press and not told an outright lie.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Our rank is #fake news.

Alternate fact: No one has ever signed a better class than UT just did. It's a bigly class. I promise you. And Alabama is going to pay for it.

The class just got 3 stars higher.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is kinda serious, so please, enough with the fake news shit, please

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Leave it to the democrat to try and turn a tragedy into a political statement. Shame.

5. Volalum

Volalum Member

Truth!!

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It means he's lying through his teeth again.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Sad!

8. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I officially dislike Butch more than ddiapos. I really do. I guess it's because I give Dooley credit for knowing he sucked. Or maybe it's because I only had to put up with Dooley for 3 years. Gosh dang I can't take Butch in any dose for any length of time. It's like he sits around penning lines just to piss me off.

Butch is Billy Madison. Everyone who hears Butch is actually dumber for having listened to him. I award him no points and may God have mercy on his soul.

Instead of keeping up with signing day, I just fired someone instead. I so Volunteer to be the guy to fire Butch. Damn I want him gone. Mediocre my ass. He freaking sucks and wishes he could sniff mediocre. I just cannot seem to find the words to express how pissed off I am that he is Tennessee's football coach.

9. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

While Jones is definitely terrible, I'm more put out with the people that put him there to begin with. It's the reason we're stuck with him and will be for at least another year. It's the reason we still haven't named an AD. It's the reason nothing will ever change until the big money people unite and decide they want to win again. Those are the people are the ones to blame it all on.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Here is as unbiased look at the numbers of our class as I can do it using ESPN recruiting rankings.

Final number of signees - 27
    National Rank - 15
    Conference rank - 7
    Division rank - 3

Of cschools that signed 27 or more players, how do we stack up?

3 schools ranked higher than us (Michigan, OU, A&M), and 7 ranked lower (Baylor being the most surprising, Baylor opinions aside, Rhule did a nice job putting any type of class together..and BYU signed 34, THIRTY FOUR).

On the flip side, Clemson was #10 with only 14 signees, and Stanford was #14 with 14 signees. They tied (with Cal) for the samllest classes.

What does all this mean?

Basically, we're settling right back to just above Dooley levels. As we all know, the luster is gone from Butch's newness and I at least suspect recruits, recruiter's advisors, and high school coaches have figured out he's a snake oil salesman. While you can somewhat attrinbute the 16 signing class' ranking due to the smaller class size compared the the programs around it, there is no other reason for 17 other than people have figured out who Butch is. Can a old dog learn new tricks? Well, yes, but it doesn't happen that often, nor do I (or any of you) expect it to.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Half of BYU's class won't enroll and will go on their mormon trip

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Excellent post!

I can't think of a single coach who managed to save his ass, once recruiting began to slide.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Will Healy at Austin Peay just signed the #1 fcs recruiting class.

Austin Peay was winless last season

14. CardinalVol

He's someone to keep an eye on, not for UT really, just as a whole.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He played under Dave Clawson at Richmond and coached BJ Coleman at UTC. He's 31 or 32.

He'll be a d-1 coach soon

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, his next step is either as oc at a power 5 school or a head coach in the Sunbelt

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I wonder which is the better route? I imagine the way OC/DC pay is these days, it has to be the OC route.

18. CardinalVol

Depending on how he does, I could see him jumping to American (I assume we all agree it's the best GOF conference) or low-tier P5 school.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It depends on who you work for if you're going the oc route.

20. CardinalVol

Serious question - who is a successful coach who went from FCS to P5 OC and did well?