2018-2019 College Basketball thread/NCAA Tournament Talk

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You said length and talent didnt make him go 0-11. Being that he went 0-22 vs the 2 longest teams he faced in his career, I disagree.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s not this complicated, man.

Length and talent will definitely affect a 3 point shooter and make him shoot a lower percentage from 3, on average.

Length and talent alone won’t make one of the best 3 point shooters in the country go 0-12 over the course of an entire game. The dude just had a terrible, terrible shooting day.

The easiest proof is to look at Hoover shooting 4-5 (80%) and Murphy shooting 2-5 (40%). They had to deal with the same length and talent and still managed to shoot well.

3. Ssmiff

So what other factors, besides defensive length and athleticism getting on him physically and affecting him mentally, made him go 0-22 vs the 2 longest teams he played? Just a coincedince i suppose.

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

With a 2-game sample size, it usually is.

Indy likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Come on refs. Ruining what was becoming a great game by calling an AWFUL 4th foul on a kid who’s been working hard and keeping his team in the game. Disgraceful.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

[uck fay] Scott Drew. If it's screwing him over then good.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He. Had. Off. Games.

Length and athleticism played a role. If the dude shoots an average of 48% from 3 against inferior opposition, then shoots 25% against a longer, more athletic team, then yeah, length and athleticism absolutely explain the lower %.

But for a 48% 3 point shooter, one of, if not the BEST 3 point shooter in the country, to go 0-12 from behind the arc, there’s more going on than just “he’s bothered by length and athleticism.”

And again, if length and athleticism are the only factors, why did the rest of the team shoot 53%? Was all the length and athleticism only on the floor when Magee had the ball? Did UK’s players shrink and become less athletic every time Magee passed the ball?

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s screwing the kid, which sucks because he seems like a really good kid. He’s definitely fun to watch. His game is very old school.

9. CardinalVol

He plays for Scott Drew, so I don't care.

10. Ssmiff

3-37 from 3 vs ks, ky and unc, while setting the ncaa record vs inferior opponents.
    Keep calling them off nights and ignoring the obvious.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s funny listening to the announcers fawning over the stats of the Gonzaga players.

Their stats are that good because their schedule is a joke. That’s the reason.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If he hit 3 tonight, they would have won.

And 3/12 would have still been a very poor percentage for him (most likely due to the length and athleticism he was facing).

13. CardinalVol

I didn't watch any of the games (including today), but are you dare suggesting that the coaches of these teams made it a priority to shut down down and probably went lockdown on him with a long armed wing to mess up his shot and if nothing else get him well out of his comfort zone even when he had a open look?

Preposterous.

14. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Edwards has already hit 4 threes for Purdue in less than 6 minutes.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Wait a minute. You just said the Woffard guy had off nights *coincidentally* when he played 3 real teams, but Gonzaga is a bunch of stat whores because of level of opponents?

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Purdue probably gonna beat the shit out of Iowa next week.

A-Smith likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Just off nights and other factors caused him to look like Jordan Howelll

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I have said, repeatedly, that the Wofford guy shooting 0-12 is a mixture of having an off night and facing a longer, more athletic opponent. He shot 48% from 3 in his weak conference. If he played in a conference like the SEC, where he would be facing longer, more athletic opponents on a weekly basis, he probably would have shot a lower percentage.

Length and athleticism negatively impact 3 point percentage. Literally no one has argued the contrary. But they don’t drop it to 0% without the kid having an off night.

And I’m not sure what that has to do with my comment about Gonzaga. I’ve never fawned over Wofford’s three point shooters and I absolutely agree that their stats are inflated by weak competition.

19. Ssmiff

Forgot he played south carolina too. 2-11 in that game, so 5-48 from 3 in those 4 this year.
    Greatest 3 point shooter in ncaa history...

20. Ssmiff

I haven't seen Purdue play like this. I also didnt think Nova sucked so bad. They appear to be close to weaponless