2018-2019 College Basketball thread/NCAA Tournament Talk

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 6, 2018.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

They were extremely fortunate to have received a couple of the technically correct end of game calls that they did. Toss in a couple of bad calls, and I think they clearly benefited.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Rewind the play when Guy tripped. That's one of the worst calls ive ever seen and late in an OT game.

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

It was. What about the previous Tech possession where the guy stood in the lane with ball for six seconds before scoring? Should have been a turnover and UVA ball down one instead of three.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That don't fit the narrative though. NCAA gave UVA the title.

NashVol11 likes this.
  5. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Refs suck. Plain and simple. The entire tournament looks completely different if the refs were competent.

IP likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

UVA won, but the officiating is utter shit. It was terribly against them in the way of no-calls down the stretch of the 2nd half. Other times, it was favorable. They're shit.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

How do we feel about the ruling that Moretti’s pinky touched it last? This is a slippery slope in basketball and it’s harder than football is. For 38 minutes that is Tech ball. For all of basketball’s history that is Tech ball. Obviously the result was getting it right. I’m fine with us just saying it’s a good thing, but I really don’t think it’s that simple.

8. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Dumbest review in sports

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

My UVA grad of a spouse and I could not come to a definitive conclusion on that, so I don't know how it was overturned. To me, the rule needs to be modified to be along the lines of it being out on whoever last transferred trajectory-changing force on the ball or something. If you look, that ball didn't even rotate from the initial swat to as it traveled outwards to the floor. Which to me leaves the possiblity that no real contact with the TT player's hand occurred. Any direct contact against the hand would have created friction that would cause some sort of rotation, but there was none which suggested a thin laminar flow of air between the hand and ball... But then the way the pinky itself moved downward made it seem like it was resting on the ball... but the ball didn't change trajectory or spin...

Don't know how that was overturned, given that it could have been reasonably called either way and the evidence is supposed to be "indisputable."

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Tip of the hat to Chris Beard, classy as hell.

11. RockyHill

The standard used in practice has never been indisputable. We’ve all seen countless calls in CFB overturned that were not remotely indisputable and it’s infuriating.

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

One Shining Moment, but it's just refs calling fouls on 3 pointers

NashVol11 and IP like this.
  13. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

He’ll be able to land any job he wants. Probably will wait for the right one.

14. RockyHill

Also, I don’t think we touched on this one, that foul on Culver right to start overtime was completely absurd. Plainly an over the back by UVA.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  15. RockyHill

Virginia trailed their Elite 8, Final Four, and National Championship games with fewer than fifteen seconds left in regulation and won all three.

16. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

A festivus miracle

17. RockyHill

At least UVA is a reasonably easy club to pull for. If Duke had one those same three games in the exact same way I’d have lost my mind.

18. RockyHill

Though I’m gonna stay pissed at phantom tripping foul and the no call on Guy fouling Moretti, those two BS calls were enough to swing it.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Didnt say that. Said it was a huge phantom foul call that changed momentum and the game. Which it did.
    And you talking about others having a narrative is rich.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

is it an over the back when you get the ball first without initiating contact despite being hooked?