2018 National Championship Game

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Volst53, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Kirby Smart did not watch the 2001 SECCG film on Saban's QB change at halftime. Completely changed the game in both instances.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I mean, I'd take Kirby's first two years.

Seriously, everything you said about Pruitt is true for Kirby, only longer. He also has shown he can win and is recruiting at an even higher level than Richt.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pruitt is inheriting a far more depleted roster and program than smart.

But I truly believe Tennessee has a higher ceiling than UGA, due to geographic factors

4. chavisut

Yeah.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Seconded.

Would be fine holding a second NC parade for them in the area.

What are their colors?, Im ordering balloons and confetti guns.

6. Beechervol

If Pruitt is legit you will see the signs in year one. That may not equal him getting to Atl the first year but we know what it doesn't look like.

Tenacious D and Volst53 like this.
  7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I have nothing against Pruitt and believe he could develop into an outstanding head coach. It's only hope, though. Perhaps not full-on blind hope - I'll concede that, but hope nonetheless. He'll never out-recruit Alabama or Georgia, but should match Florida at the very least. Can he coach at the same level as those guys? Not Saban. He'll have to beat Kirby with less talent and it will take a couple of cycles to even get close enough to see his exhaust. Florida should be gettable, though.

TangoUniform and Tenacious D like this.
  8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think Pruitt is going to flip the roster pretty quick. It's his coaching and management that's the question marks.

I still think Smart is feeling his way through it as well, and he learned a lot from last year.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Germy has been a winner everywhere he's coached, and comes from a dad that won a lot. And not the "I split the Big east title 17 ways" kind either. He's won. Can it translate from assistant coach to head man? No idea. But the guy has won wherever he has been at every level.

10. CardinalVol

If there is a negative (?) about him, it's that he's basically 100% focused on getting his guys in here and looking past the current roster. Maybe he has to do that to get to where we want, but I do get how that would suck as a current player.

11. Beechervol

Yeah. Always take a guy that knows what it looks like especially in a league like the SEC.

Now, can he build that.

12. Beechervol

Many of the guys that got Kirby to the game with were Richt guys. The ones that didn't or couldn't evolve got replaced by more talented Smart Fr. And by next year it won't matter how many Richt guys are on board with UGA. Kirby has enough of his guys now.

JP needs a lot of guys to buy in quick. He's not in the same boat early.

TangoUniform likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

There's at least some evidence there for some object-based hope and faith in the guy as opposed to total blind hope.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Most of the guys understand at this level it's all about recruiting. Hopefully he's had the chance on selling to the current players to buy in and help him.

What's going to make or break him with the current players is how they handle a guy that truly plays the best, and playing time being a true competition.

15. CardinalVol

Yeah, maybe step 1, given time constraints, was 100% recruiting, and now that he's here he can focus on them.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why would t he be able to recruit with GA?

UF is the one nobody could recruit with if they got their crap together. Fortunately, they hired Mullen.

NorrisAlan and Volst53 like this.
  17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I don’t know what it is about football teams from the state of Georgia, but they sure do have a knack for blowing double digit, fourth quarter leads in championship games.

justingroves likes this.
  18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Per Atlanta Sports talk show Host.
    * Georgia is a lock for SEC E next year
    * Georgia will be playing Alabama in a rematch in 11 months.
    * This is the worst UGA team that Kirby will ever field

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Agree about Florida; Mullen is the reason I see them as gettable in both recruiting and on the field. Georgia is quite a bit ahead of us in talent even considering what they're losing. It appears Smart can coach so they'll consistently pull the best in state talent which is, while not Florida level, considerable. Pruitt may recruit close to GA, especially early, but he'll have to win relatively quickly to stay within striking distance. My point is he's not going to out-talent the teams he needs to beat to win championships. He's going to play GA, AL and FL with <= talent and it's going to take a couple of years to get somewhat close to the first two - will his coaching be good enough to win? Hope and such.

20. chavisut

I'd consider them heavy, heavy favorites for the East next year.