2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He wants to get paid and he's tired of school.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I remember when Tennessee's players left early to pay for lawyers and court costs

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don’t think that it’s any more complicated than this, either for Bone or most college athletes.

But...I also wonder if all of the talk about how hard Barnes was on him, and how he pushed him harder than anyone he’s ever coached, and the persistent rumors that Barnes had hamstrung him last year by being too controlling may have also played a role in his decision, and perhaps a significant portion of it, too.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Barnes wasn't too controlling or hamstringing Bone. We had a top 20 scoring offense with Bone leading it and he set assist/turnover ration records iirc, and lit up teams such as Ky when he was feeling it.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Uh oh, Tenny sent out the Ssmiff Bat signal by criticizing Barnes.

MaconVol likes this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I get it. Just seems potentially short sighted.

He became the 3rd “guy” with Grant and Admiral this year. Schofield is gone, and Grant very well may be as well. That would give Bone the opportunity to be “the guy” and really get his name out there. His production would likely see significant growth after losing our two leading scorers.

I think it was Bilas at some point who called Bone the best NBA prospect on this year’s team. It just seems like another year can only help him and improve his NBA chances.

7. Ssmiff

Barnes helped make Bone into a good player. The idea he told him to not shoot, penetrate or attack the rim and elbow is silly.

8. https://theathletic.com/850464/2019...point-guard-to-lead-tennessee-to-minneapolis/

We could argue over the exact words to describe it, but it's no secret that Barnes was hard on Bone.

So did he do anything directly to hamstring, or otherwise control, Bone? Probably not. But that style of "tough" coaching can have that effect on players.

Sounds like they made-up, but it hadn't always been sunshine and rainbows.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Getting paid 70k overseas is better than getting paid 0 dollars in college

10. Ssmiff

Yeah Barnes has been hard on Bone and Bone wouldnt be at his level of play without it.
    Has nothing to do with not allowing him to play and run the team which was the assertion,
    According to many Barnes doesnt do any coaching during games. If hes not and allowing the players to run the game, its the opposite of hamstringing a player.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Being hands off in a game and being controlling in practice and preparation are not mutually exclusive.

12. Ssmiff

Bone being tired of Barnes and ready to go make some money somehow is probably exactly why he left.
    He would have free reign again next year and need more shots.
    His offensive game supposedly being reigned in by the coaches who helped develop his skill set makes zero sense.
    Being worn out mentally and physically, wanting a change after a disappointing season and to go get better in a more loose environment while making some $ does.

13. zjc44

zjc44 New Member

If he’s a second round pick, it’s probably worth it to Bone. You can play big minutes in the G-League, get paid, get better coaching, and have to focus on school. I’d be surprised if someone didn’t take a chance on him. He’s a better prospect than Jordan McRae was.

14. zjc44

zjc44 New Member

I think next years team can be good if Grant comes back. Even after losing Bone, Turner/James/Cone still is a lot of talent at PG and Turner showed much more playmaking ability this past year. That should be a 5-7 seed. But if Grant leaves...I think the NCAAT is a question mark.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You can make good $ over there if you land with a good organization. Land with a bad one and your owner loses your salary betting on his team to win.

justingroves likes this.
  16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't like Turner at PG. Too deliberate. Doesn't seem like he wanted to ever force the tempo. Bone is a big loss.

Hopefully one of the freshman can come in and do something.

17. Ssmiff

We need a pg. Turner isnt a great ballhandler and we need his legs for defense and half court offense.

18. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Walker in the transfer portal.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hmm. I wonder if that's good news or bad news.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's probably neither, but there needs to be some good news to follow it up