2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Slim chance the new one would be an improvement

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

quit being butthurt about it. College basketball is a business. My point still stands. Its either overpay for a top 15 coach as JG stated, which we are doing now, or still pay millions to a not top 20, maybe even not top 50 coach, and wait for people to call for a coaching change every 3-4 years.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I prefer "woke" to "butthurt." There is a "WHO YA GUNNA GIT?" subtext to just accepting the events.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

I’m normally not a who ya gunna git guy. But I think it’s pretty valid in this case. Rick Barnes has flaws. But who is hirable with a better resume?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, I'm not seeing a better alternative right now.

6. Ssmiff

our hires before Barnes were from Milwaukee, Missouri St and South Miss. Yeah lets do that again

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

for 5 million, we can get another coach to build a 2 seed over 4 years and make the sweet 16. I can't name who, partly because I believe the number of potential hires at that rate for that stage that could do it may be in the triple digits. seriously.

8. Ssmiff

best year we've had in a long time and it was fun. If Lamonte doesn't foul, I guess Barnes is worth the $, even though he had zero to do with it.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

Alrighty then

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't believe so

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

okay, I am a little overboard.

I do think he has a hard ceiling of the second weekend.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've seen Tennessee [uck fay] up too many coaching searches to be confident that we could hire someone as good or better than Barnes, if we took the chance and let him go.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

best job in America. guaranteed overpay

14. Ssmiff

for the sake of argument, what does Barnes' supposed ceiling have to do with Lamonte fouling after the guy steps out of bounds with the ball with 1.5 seconds left. Did the HC blow the game like Kirby Smart.
    If you are saying its destiny or just bad mojo, then fine I can surely believe that could be the case. As in something will always happen...a nun, a last second foul, etc. That's similar to my belief we will never do anything in football until Kesling is gone.
    If you are saying he has a hard ceiling due to coaching, again, what did coaching have to do with losing a 2 pt lead with 1.5 seconds left. It was a fluke, after a 35 foot fadeaway over a possible first round draft pick from 30 feet out to tie it a few seconds earlier. 2 fluke shots. If they don't go in, Barnes is a hero and he didn't do anything differently.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

any one possession game turns on the smallest flukiest event. We tended to play a heck of a lot of those. you point to this game as the fluke. what about the one before that which went to OT? second half of the year, we were always a fluke away from winning or losing against both great and not so great teams.

Luck is streaky. we had some great luck to be there.

16. Ssmiff

I felt like i watched some of the best basketball a UT team has played in decades. Felt that led more to wins than luck.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This.

Are there more than 5-10 coaches who wouldn’t come for $5M/yr?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd fail so hard for 5 million dollars. for 5 million, I would be willing to try and fly under the power of my flapping arms every day.

and of the all coaches minus 5 or 10, several I am sure can manage a program and brand like Tennessee rolling into heartbreaking championship fails and sweet 16's.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

History disagrees

20. JohnnyQuickkick

Of course plenty of coaches would come. Just not sure it’s that easy to find one better. And if they’d do the same, why change?