2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Here is the list of players enrolled by Martin in his three seasons per 247. In hindsight, this list is [uck fay]ing hilarious.

Josh Richardson
    Dwight Miller
    Yemi Makanjuola
    Quinton Chievous
    Wes Washpun
    Chris Jones
    Jarnell Stokes
    Derek Reese
    Armani Moore
    D'Montre Edwards
    Robert Hubbs
    Darius Thompson
    A.J. Davis
    Rawane Ndiaye

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

it's not about lifting up Martin, it's about pointing out that aside from poll ranking, he hasn't broken any ground here. it feels like people remember 50 years of football and only 2 seasons of basketball.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'm arguing that Barnes wasn't able to ride Bruce Pearl's coattails to disappointing regular season results like Martin. The program was a shitshow when he hopped on board. External factors skew the W-L records over a short sample.

I'm not going to say "Why do we like Johnny Majors when he got similar/worse results than Butch in his first 5 years. AND he had less bowl wins."

And yes, Martin got a significantly easier draw in the tournament. It's not even close.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Fans and ticketholders enjoyed the season about as much as any they have in their lives, which counts as something for many people. If others choose to shit on months of great entertainment while watching players develop, so be it.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

having expectations that align with compensation is shitting?

6. Ssmiff

No, shitting on the season is. Nobody here is arguing expectations, so dont bring it out of nowhere and act like i or anyone else is.
    Seems as if setting several records, being #1 for a month. and coaching a 2 time POY was breaking some ground, but not for those who dont want to see it I suppose.

7. Ssmiff

Grants jersey will be retired, but he and the staff did nothing special.
    No different than Cuonzo.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

This whole line of conversation has been about people saying we won't make the tourney and are rebuilding next year, and Tenny and I saying that is unacceptable.

Rankings are nice, but they are just opinions.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Get that sweet 16 banner up.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's on order

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Vols add guard Victor Bailey as a transfer from Oregon. He averaged 7.5 points last year and will probably have to sit out a year.

12. Ssmiff

Know anything about him?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

He has a good shooting percentage.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sounds like the Oregon people think he has some ability, but weren't too broken up about him leaving. He wasn't playing as they hit their run in the PAC 12 and NCAA tourneys.

I'm wondering why we are using up these scholarships when it does look like we could hit some really good talent in the 2020 class. Barnes must ejectsome attrition next season because we only have one more scholarship to offer in 2020 with Walker committed.

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Was a 4-star top 100 recruit a couple years ago. I guess it makes sense to try to have a non-freshman in place with Bowden and Turner graduating at the same time

16. Ssmiff

Don't know, unless a quick fill for a spot up shooter, which after a quick search it seems this kid can shoot the 3 a little. After Turner and Bowden leave as seniors, we need shooters asap. I have to assume he's trying to replace Bowden or Turners role.

17. Ssmiff

just typed this before I saw your post. That's what makes sense.

18. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Apparently he got in the coaches dog house... had a little hot streak for a while.

Texas, Baylor, and Texas A&M were vying for his services. Barnes used to work with his mom at Texas and that relationship apparently paid off for Tennessee.

2Maggitt2Quit and Ssmiff like this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We will over sign in 2020.

20. Ssmiff