2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

When we were walking it up the floor we weren't scoring nearly as much. That was a theme all year long. (Yes, I mean off of misses)

IP likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Sure we were stagnant at times. But we had what became 2 time POY so I dont know about those teams running too much more. Assist to turnover ratio was #3 in the country as well so I have trouble finding much fault with how the offense was run.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

ok. then we disagree. you think sweet 16 was the ceiling, I guess

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That Barnes-lead teams have a hard Sweet 16 ceiling is so obvious as to be self-evident at this point.

5. Ssmiff

Yeah just go ahead and make up something when you feel the need.

6. Ssmiff

We had a 2 pt lead with 2 seconds left to go to the elite 8.
    Self evident would be sticking with things you know.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

you don't see how the offense could have been run any different, and we won in overtime to even get to the sweet 16. are you objecting to the defense?

8. Tenacious D

Did we go to the Elite 8?

Followup: If not, what was the highest round we participated in?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

just unlucky we ran into the buzzsaw that it was purdue, who "almost" was a final four team

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The tournament is such a fickle mistress. I get being upset, I was pissed for a week. Sometimes it’s more about rolling doubles than anything else.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I will hate Ryan Cline, with his stupid ass fallaway threes and stupid three fingers up, forever.

OneForVol likes this.
  12. Tenacious D

I'm biased against ol' Bruin Barnes, will be until the day that he leaves, and don't care one whit to hide it. I still support both his being here as coach and hope that his efforts are successful, not only because it's best for the program, but because I love Tennessee infinitely more than I dislike Barnes.

I absolutely 100% agree with your take JQK, that last year's exit in the Sweet 16 was ultimately bad luck, from a terribly bad call, and which shouldn't have been made. I also agree with your larger point that tournament success is largely about unpredictable matchups, and that some luck of the draw is necessary in making a deep run.

But I also and honestly believe that Bruin Barnes' penchant for exiting the tourney at or before the Sweet 16 is so voluminous as to be impossible to simply explain with a few bad matchups, or a handful of bad calls.

I don't know or understand basketball enough to say exactly why Barnes can't get past the Sweet 16, but that he hasn't, and is unlikely to do so going forward, seems too obvious to ignore. As my original post said, Bruin Barnes is a Sweet 16 coach, at best. There's certainly worse things to be. I'd love for him to be more, go further and to prove me wrong, but a lengthy history says he won't, and that it's silly to expect it.

13. Ssmiff

You said something about me being happy with sweet 16 cap. If you wanna talk ball, then talk ball.
    When you win that many games, you usually dont change things up in March. Bone playing hurt isnt the best time to push more pace with 2 games in 48 hours after games on consecutive days the week prior and your 2x POY on the floor.
    We won 2 and had the lead with 2 seconds left on the 3rd game. You take that in the tourney all day.
    Or maybe you guys dont watch the other games as teams such as Duke need lipout layups by UCF to miss in order to move on. Top 10 in multiple offensive categories and you 2 want to complain about the offense. Makes no sense. Yeah let's take a top 3 asst/turnover ratio and just start running and gunning. Sub more players and have Grant and Bone sit more due to a higher pace, which was already top 10 as well. More Pons and Lamonte at point is what we needed.

14. Ssmiff

That was nuts and for us to still have the lead after the 54 point 2nd half was crazy.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He might not. I also don’t know what his deal has been in the tournament. I do know he’s taken a program farther than this one has ever gone at least once, and I know that odds were hugely against us improving on him if he had taken the UCLA job. I’m happy he’s here for now and hope for the best.

16. Tenacious D

I agree with all of this, 1000%.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I said you think Sweet 16 was the ceiling, based on you thinking the offense was run the best way possible for that roster. I didn't say anything about your emotional state I don't think.

18. Ssmiff

He could have some kesling type curse about him to prevent him to get past it. I dont see faulty coaching preventing elite 8 or better. Look at how the last 2 years ended. If the nun bounce or kick out call isnt made, Barnes isnt a better coach.

19. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep, every bit of of this. It sucks he hasn't had more success in the tournament, but I'm glad hes our coach and complete support him. My hope is he can win a championship here and retire. It would cap off a great career.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'd just take not spotting the opponent a 20 point lead.