2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The article says "Bone's intention is to stay in the NBA Draft, barring a change in plans."

"Barring a change in plans" sounds a lot like "testing the waters" to me. Maybe he is confident that he will grade out as a first round pick? There's no way of knowing what he is thinking, but he has, at the very least, left the door open by not hiring an agent (yet).

If the dude thinks he's a late first rounder, but he grades out as a late 2nd rounder or even going undrafted, I'd say there's a good chance he's back next year.

I have no idea where he will project in the draft, but he's currently nowhere to be found on most draft boards.

EDIT: Also, Admiral is a completely different dude in a completely different situation from Bone. For all we know, Admiral knew he was coming back for his senior season, regardless of where he projected in the draft. Bone, on the other hand, may have it set in his mind that if he projects in the first round he's gone, but if he gets a 2nd round grade, he will return.

Bottom line, we have no idea what these kids are thinking, so comparing their words for how they declared doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If he grades out as going undrafted, why on earth would you not advise him to return for his senior year?

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Next year is going to be a challenge with the personnel coming back. I doubt Williams comes back, too, as I see a lot of mocks with him in the 1st round. It makes the loss to Purdue that much more difficult knowing this team could be a distinct high water mark for a while. We will not be terrible, but probably a borderline 20 win team wondering about our NCAA status going into Selection Sunday.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Also, the kid from Bearden, Quez Glover, is going to Florida. I have to wonder if we are going to hit up the grad transfers hard.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sad face emoji

6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

There’s a new rule this year that lets a player go all the way through the draft process, including hiring an agent, and lets the player return to his school if he still has eligibility and is not drafted.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I forgot about that. I like that rule.

chavisut likes this.
  8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Still, I think this year was the high water mark for Bone as I don't see his game having tons of room for improvement at UT. I think it would be best for him to stay in the draft.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Because he won’t learn anything at Tennessee, and won’t get any better exposure, than playing in the G League or Europe. And he’ll get paid while doing so. If he couldn’t be drafted after this season, another one won’t appreciably help, IMO.

10. Tenacious D

I’ll be shocked if he isn’t drafted.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

unless his style of play is tweaked.

12. Tenacious D

Thankfully, the roster is stocked with 4-5* talent.

13. Tenacious D

Or his knee.
    Or ankle.
    Or elbow.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

very fair

15. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Hit the portal.

A-Smith likes this.
  16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Bone will have a nice career in the NBA. Good luck to him.

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Heard Gary Parrish say on radio today that Bone very may well not be drafted and that it was a little shock he was coming out.... Said that Williams was a probable candidate for Rd 1

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think Bone will be a 2nd rounder.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

But if he comes back and gets his 3 point shooting up clsoe to 40% and averages upper teens with more consistency, he would be a first rounder next year, IMO. And those are very doable.

20. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

On Sam Veceine's Big Board for the Athletic, Grant is at #22 and Admiral is at #33. Gotta think their intangibles and Admiral's shooting keep them in that range despite the lack of upside.

Bone isn't listed in the top 100.

For reference, Tremont Waters is at #99.