2019 Lady Vols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by YankeeVol, Jan 24, 2019.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Can we get the lady vols to stop playing at Thompson-Boling Arena, maybe play in the gym up on the hill, under one of the engineering buildings? I think there's a small basketball court in there somewhere

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

FKA, Alumni Gym seating capacity of ~3000 IIRC. My dad went to basketball games there in the mid '50's. I had a PE class in it in 1970 before Nam. When I got back in '75, no more PE. I think they have converted it to an auditorium for musical and other venues? I believe it is now called Alumni Memorial Building.

kmf600 likes this.
  3. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

TOS brought up a name. Karl Smesko

I'd take him over KJH

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I played volleyball there, and watched a couple of women's volleyball there too.

Poppa T likes this.
  6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Pretty cool background on this guy. Attended Bob Knight Camps and patterned his coaching style after him.

Has won over 80% of games, only took him 616 games to get win #500. Has an NAIA championship as a head coach. Built the Florida Gulf Coast program from literally nothing. Interesting excerpt below.

"Smesko's success didn't go unnoticed. Florida Gulf Coast approached him about becoming the head of the women's basketball program. At the time, the school did not have a basketball program. The school had only been in existence since 1997, and not only had no team, it had no real athletic facilities. The plans at the time were to start as an NAIA program, while applying for Division II status. Despite the challenges, Smesko accepted the position, and spent the next year working out of the school's trailer to build a program from scratch. He persuaded players to come to the school, even though the first workout would take place on asphalt outdoor courts, while the school built an indoor facility.[9][10] In his first game, his team won by 17 points. By the time the season ended, they had but a single loss for a record of 30–1. The team continued to excel, amassing a record of 132–21 as a DII team. In 2007, FGCU applied to become a Division I school, as part of the Atlantic Sun. They've competed in that conference ever since, finishing first or second in the conference every year. In 2011, they completed the transition to full Division I status, and eligibility for post season tournaments.[9][10] Under his leadership, FGCU has made the Division I NCAA Tournament five times, in 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018, pulling first round upsets in 2015 and 2018."

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Westbrook just went in the transfer portal. Whoever gets this job has their work cut out for them.

8. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I see Kentucky doesn't have access to the internet or google search.

10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

utvol0427 likes this.
  11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It's a helluva resume.

12. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I know now’s not the time...

But I think Kellie Harper is the next Lady Vol’s coach. I like it for some reason.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Is she willing to work for minimum wage? If so, I support her as a candidate.

14. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I think so. She was making $29,000 at Missouri State.

15. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Phil is taking that five million dollar Barnes buyout and throwing it at Geno.

16. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Kara Lawson will be our Steve Kerr and you can't tell me different.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Sweet. Give her a 10% raise and bring her on board.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Fulmer is just giving the people what they want. Female, alum. Checks all the boxes.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Maybe the whole Barnes thing is a ruse so whoever we are after gets mad and backs out and we have to shut the program down.

20. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Terrible hire.