POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Trump is having trouble putting together a coherent argument for his election and against Biden. He's not the outsider-disruptor anymore and some of the stuff which worked against Hillary just isn't an option for him this time. And, what are his arguments against Biden? Joe's old and getting senile? Having a 2 hour rambling speech with a 20 minute sidebar about walking down a ramp sort of stunts that angle. Biden makes silly statements? He's been gaffe prone forever and kind of endearing, in a way. Young voters aren't particularly keen on Uncle Joe, but they don't like Trump, either, and they don't really vote anyway. Old people? His Covid response isn't helping there. Biden an out of touch lefty? He's not nearly as left as Obama. Where do you hit Biden which resonates?

So, I think Trump continues to struggle until he actually develops a coherent message to sell and not this mish mash of 2016 redux and the media hates me stuff. In 2016, he had people chanting "build that wall", "lock her up" and "drain the swamp". I don't know what they rally around now. Plus, he has to define Biden in an effective way as was done with Hillary in 2016 as a soulless bureaucrat, among other things. Of course, Biden could still pull a major faux pas, too. I wouldn't put it past him. But, I do think Trump has a more difficult road to haul this time around, which is why I always said this was a 50-50 deal, maybe even more towards Biden.

Still, this thing is over 4 months away. Lots of twists and turns possible.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well, they haven't had a debate yet.

zehr27 likes this.
  3. Unimane

I would be surprised if the debates moved the needle too much either way.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Once Biden gets in the public light again it will change the equation some.

justingroves likes this.
  5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

One thing that I think really helps Biden as well is Bernie supporters are more willing to support him then they were Hillary. I think he gets a lot of those votes that Hillary missed out on.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is definitely true. If I wasn't so worried about Biden's mental state, I would probably vote for him, and I wouldn't touch Hillary with a 39 and 1/2 foot pole.

zehr27 likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why is it definitely true?

8. NorrisAlan

*for me, though I was never a Bernie supporter.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

... So not for you?

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Biden's "Don't believe the polls, register to vote," tactic is refreshing after Clinton's "Ah, we got this." fail.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It is a much more humble way to go about it

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He knows he has to work it if he wants to be Obama's veep.

14. Unimane

On this note:

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he finds his jingle by September, there is no harm done.

16. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

17. NorrisAlan

"Stop that testing! Stop that testing!" just doesn't have the same ring and cache that "Lock her up! Lock her up!" has.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The pro-coronavirus platform is a risky strategy.

CardinalVol likes this.
  19. Unimane

I don't know about no harm, but getting a coherent message by September would be helpful to him, even if really late in the game. I just found this quote notable because he seems to be a little more resigned than usual, mailing in his stream of consciousness responses even looser. Tulsa had more of a profound effect upon him than may be realized, especially for someone who runs on adulation. I just get the sense he wants this to be over, but doesn't want the ignominy of losing.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

High risk = high reward.

zehr27 and justingroves like this.