POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so biden essentially said black people are all the same?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know that this isn't manufactured, and people really are this hard up for a gotcha, but I don't think it is controversial to say that one community has a more centralized identity than another. There is a unity and common identity within the African American community whether you live in LA, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. There is nothing comparable to the distinct differences between people who identify as being Cuban, Mexican, and Puerto Rican, which all are grouped as "latinx."

Is that really so outrageous? What is important to Cuban Americans is not necessarily the same as what is important to Mexican Americans?

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

More or less.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think it's pretty outrageous to say any race has a centralized identity.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I said common identity. Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all these "black lives matter" chants are really offensive or vague to most of the African American community.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the blm movement speaks for the entire black community?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

To say one group is very diverse is not the same as claiming another is monolithic. This is really, really a stretch.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Do you think that there are a lot of black people that... don't think black lives matter?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

uh he specifically said the other group wasn't diverse

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ended up voting for Hagerty. Sethi has gone too dumb to court the far right in the last couple of weeks.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's like saying everyone that agrees with "just do it" is a fan of nike.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, not really. He said one was incredibly diverse, unlike the other with notable exceptions. What, in your mind, is the equivalent to Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Dominicans, and umpteen other possible ethnic identities, within the African American community?

13. fl0at_

Do you think that there are a lot of black people that... don't think black lives matter?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Stupid question. If you agree with a slogan that means you approve of the product? Stop it

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don’t believe all black people are the same with the same views and same community.

16. fl0at_

How is it a stupid question?

#BlackLivesMatter comes from when Zimmerman was found innocent. Zimmerman. Who wasn't a cop. Who wasn't in government. Who wasn't law enforcement.

So how the hell do you take it to mean, whatever it is that you find it to mean, that doesn't mean, exactly what it comes from? Black lives matter.

What you see as the "product" is not the product. The product is that black lives matter. It isn't the slogan.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right

18. fl0at_

I am aware. Now you are too.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one said they have all the same views.

Let's take the Cal alumni community for an example. That is a community. There are definitely different views within it, but there is also a commonality- having graduated from that school. Someone contrasting the diversity of Cal alums to some other school doesn't mean Cal alums are automatically all the same, with the same ideas.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

So blacks are a centralized identity and hispanics are diverse. What are whites (caucasions)?

Seems like if we can have diverse identities and thoughts then so should blacks. Seems like a racist thing to say.