POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Does property tax scale with cultures per square mile? Dang.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Tenacious D likes this.
  2. TennTradition

White is an important part of keeping the diversity higher here.

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. TennTradition

What does this even mean?

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Between doubling the standard deduction and flattening the brackets our total tax liability was noticeably lower.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yes.

6. CardinalVol

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’m sure we’ll come up with a solution that in no way addresses the cause.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As a doctor, what do you think the cause is?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don’t think there’s a single cause and honestly I’m probably less qualified to discuss it than my employees as I’ve made it my mission to deal with that stuff as little as possible. But that in itself is part of the problem, as whole teams of people are employed just to handle insurance crap. And you need a lot more of these people and hours from them per claim than you would think. Data mailed in is frequently lost. They frequently claim to not have information you know you’ve sent them and then you have to wait on hold for 45 minutes while they verify they do in fact have the information for which they cited a lack of said information as a reason for denial. Now we’ll reprocess and contact you in 60 days. Actually you won’t get contacted and your office will have to stay on top of that and contact them after 60 days and see what new issue needs to be resolved. So something needs to be done about that. The whole process needs to be streamlined and some sort of rules put in place for how these companies operate. It’s not so much rejections, but making you work like a dog for what should be slam dunk approvals (presumably so that a lot of people will just give up and quit seeking reimbursement or preauthorization).

Insurance reimbursements will go up (maybe) if your fees go up, assuming other people in your area are also raising their fees. Reimbursement will definitely drop if everyone lowers their fees. No one wants that.

That’s a couple of issues in the private world.

IP likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I would hate to have to deal with insurance companies to get paid. Do they have a limit on how long they can take to pay a claim?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some sort of limit mentioned in the contract, but I’d say there is all kinds of wiggle room provided. Also I’m not sure how you’d go about trying to get them on that.

13. CardinalVol

From my 3 years of dabbling in it, most have time frames on when it can be paid, and the onus is on the provider to stay on their asses about it. Health insurance is the biggest bunch of crooks out there. IMO, it's the most corrupt industry in the history of the US, and I don't think there is a close second.

Too many people want to think that solving healthcare is a simple fix, but it would probably require Glass-Segall times 10 to handle everything. And both sides are influenced by them. And on top of that, I'm not certain that fixing the problem wouldn't require a long time to implement as to not cause a meltdown a la 2008.

IP and JayVols like this.
  14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Going single payer isn’t going to solve it either. Will just add another layer to the mess.

It’s crazy how we’ve totally screwed up the health care market.

But when the provider and consumer is in the dark on pricing and left to the middle men to hash out. There’s no wonder it’s so expensive.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Way too much time is wasted on AR. I wish they would take a good look at that. You should not have to chase your money around.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There are two year limits from claim date on a lot of them. But yeah, that’s on the provider. Not sure if they have some sort of response time limit. They usually tell you they will contact you in 30 or 60 days. I’d say it’s 50/50 or less whether they actually do contact you.

17. CardinalVol

It might IF about 1,000 other things were taken care of. But just going to single payer thinking that will solve it? No. It won't. Of that I am convinced.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, if you are an out of network provider, they won’t tell you what amount they’ll reimburse. They are under no obligation to, so they flat refuse. Which means the uninformed patient has to call (they are obligated to tell them) and after being coached by staff, recite confusing medical and insurance code jargon you’re sure they have no damn clue about. So, in those cases, even though patient says insurance told them they’d cover $X, you are always really concerned that they didn’t fully grasp what was told to them.

19. TennTradition

That will be interesting then.

20. TennTradition

We will be dedicating such a large fraction of GDP to healthcare that not fixing it will likely cause a meltdown.

IP likes this.