POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm fine with looking at and possibly changing the full vesting periods. Not an issue at all for me.

2. JayVols

I'd take it.

In a heartbeat.

zehr27 likes this.
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This is an intriguing one from the other day which warrants a few questions.
    1. Is he gleaning information from a poll? That's not how those things work. They assess opinions, not gather "facts".
    2. What is an acceptable number of Latin Americans?
    3. Would the number of other people be acceptable? 42 million French?

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think if teachers have to wait 10 years politicians should at least have to as well. jmo

5. JayVols

In fairness, we're vested in 5.

However, that doesn't guarantee huge sums of money. 1st, our pension is roughly 46%-48% of our salary only after 30 years. It's a MUCH lower percentage for even 25 years. It gets even worse the fewer years figured into the formula. Here's the benefit formula:

Our formula is this:

Years of service
    X
    Average salary of top 5 years
    X
    Benefit Multillier (negotiated 1.5%)
    +
    Benefit Improvement Percentage (5% negotiated)
    =
    Annual Benefit
    ÷
    12 months
    =
    Monthly Benefit

That's the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement Formula for state employees. It's among the top most stable & financially healthy pension funds in the nation. It's been well managed.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I thought it was 10 for teachers, that's my bad. I still think their 174K salary should be enough.

7. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

It was enough before social media and the internet allowing anyone with a keyboard the ability to comb through all of one’s past. Also, they have to rent a place in dc. Sharing a decent place would likely cost 12k+.

It’s actually a challenging job. Their schedules are full from 8am-8pm while in session, then back home to fund raise and deal with constituents, while still pushing/polishing legislation. Obviously there are those that do not work like that. But most that care do.

There are a lot of qualified people out there, but I don’t think there are many self made six figure earners who fine 174k as a net positive. Civil service lost its shine when a person has a careee jeopardized by getting drunk in college or some goofy pic they took at work. People are instantly labeled and disregarded by many simply by party affiliation.

Basically, we have become a nation of reality tv dumbass, so is 174k + additional expenses worth trading a secure career and lifestyle for that customer base?

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For living in DC, considering the immensity of their duties and that they’re one of fewer than 500 people? I don’t think that’s outrageous, at all.

But, I’ve always thought it’d be funny to see a law where Congressional salaries were set by the average annual income of their constituency.

9. Tenacious D

No, a former POTUS shouldn’t live a lavish lifestyle on the taxpayer dime, but neither should they be forced to live like a pauper, either. Throwing $250k/yr to former Presidents is less than the cost of the ink required to put in in the annual federal budget.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Just putting this out there, 174K is just their salary. It doesn't count all the money they get to "run their office." They get a budget for staff, they get money for travel, and they get money they usually spend to get themselves re-elected. Point being, they get a lot of money to spend as they see fit.

zehr27 likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Are you only qualified for congress if you already make a 6 figure salary and have good financial security? What if less money and perks kept people with dicey past from running? Would that be a good thing?

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The reason for a decent salary is two-fold:

Attract those with the best abilities.

Corruption prevention.

I don't begrudge them their salaries, as it is probably far less than they could earn as management or business owners in the private sector.

The biggest issue right now is the sheer amount of money they have to raise every two years to get reelected.

That is something that needs looking into for corruption issues.

13. Tenacious D

Understood and don’t disagree.

But even as I agree with you, I’ll tell you the same thing that I’m always quick to tell the resident liberals - if you don’t like it, and think it’s excessive, work to change it. Start by only voting for officials who share your position.

And I mean that sincerely.

14. JayVols

Or just say screw the Constitution & declare a national emergency when your work fails to change it.

Either or.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Think about what you just said there. We have to pay them enough money to keep them honest.

16. NorrisAlan

Do you think a cop making $25k a year is more likely to take bribe than one making $50k a year? It is human nature, my friend.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If that's they way you want to look at it. Pretty sad.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I chose to believe there are actually good honest people out there.

19. NorrisAlan

There are. Most people in the world, in fact.

My point being you are not going to attract the quality good people with a nickel and dime salary. The lower you push the salary, the more likely you are to attract someone willing to make a buck on the side.

It is the reason CEOS make so much money. Reason I imagine you don't pay your nurses $9 an hour.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

174k is not pushing it too low. Imo.