POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The left needs to be extremely careful. I think reparations is a losing issue.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's completely silly to contemplate as a potential policy, totally unworkable, legislatively unpassable and only a feint dream which time has probably passed.

My greatest fear in the 2020 election is the left's tendency to eat its own, as evidenced by instances like the cornering of Chelsea Clinton by NYU students or the threats of being primaried by more progressive candidates.

tvolsfan likes this.
  3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Haven't we long paid reparations many times over via welfare, food stamps, etc.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree. Maybe seeing four years Trump will unite the left behind the winner, though?

And as far as reparations go, is it worth it to pander for votes in states the republicans will win in the general election anyways? The left needs to ask themselves that quickly.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

6. Unimane

Those are exclusively for black people and given to all blacks as damages specifically for slavery?

7. Unimane

I actually do think the left is, essentially, uniting to cast an anti-Trump tenor to their vote in 2020.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Me too, but I don’t think we will know for sure until we have a nominee.

9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Even with a job and full course load, I got foodstamps and WIC vouchers while at UT on GI Bill despite my whiteness.

I will say that was one of the most demeaning processes I have ever been through. But when you have a family to feed, you do what you have to do.

I will say, at times being in the military during Nam seemed like slavery.

10. gcbvol

What Democrats can learn from Buttigieg

From the article:

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

So... what am I supposed to do? Vote on his personality and charisma?

What are his policy ideas? What are his objectives? I'm not looking for a mascot.

12. gcbvol

Absolutely not. Beto is the candidate for those folks. Pete exudes authenticity and substance and really stands out from typical politicians in this regard. He comes across real and relateable.

I agree we need to see more of his policy positions. I believe he'll shortly move from exploratory into official campaign launch where we'll get it. A few key positions are outlined here: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...elieve-where-the-candidate-stands-on-7-issues

A bit more in his appearance with Chris Wallace:

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm fine with a big field. Hope he joins. And then we can make brackets and start whittling it down.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay, [uck fay]. He looks really good.

gcbvol likes this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Alright calm down, gcb called dibs.

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. gcbvol

I love him. We need more, certainly, but I have never felt more strongly about a political candidate. I have never made a political contribution in my now 49 years; he will be the first.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's the freaking mayor of South Bend. Unelectable.

zehr27 likes this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Place is a complete shithole.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Wait, if it doesn't meet the exclusivity and specificity, then it isn't reparations?

Careful, here, because this will quickly devolve into the worth of citizenship.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What is this? Are you saying that the idea of reparations should be settled on the political capital it provides, and specifically, by way of throwing cash out for the most impactful votes?

If this is what you mean, then you're not only a dye in the wool Democrat, then you're a bigger piece of human shit than SSMIF ever hoped to be, and which I didn't think was possible.