POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

LLOL.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't know how anyone can look at the current starkly divided political landscape and think either candidate would annihilate the other one. There's nothing out there which suggests any sort of thing.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

He's trending in the right direction, though! :) Also, he's getting absolutely blasted from the left. Be careful not to mistake not taking punches with attempted punches not landing. There are a couple of reasons he's hanging around:
    1) He and Warren are the two best debaters of the field. He never comes out of debates damaged, it's either net positive or neutral.
    2) He may have the best campaign team out of the bunch. They're seriously really good.
    3) He continues to fund raise like a monster (related to point 2).
    4) He has a way of communicating to audiences which resonates. When folks see him live in town halls, etc. he connects. He's a politician to be sure, but provides real answers to questions in a way that seems as though he's considered topics at length. Much less 'political speak' and non-answer answers. That's not to say he doesn't do it, just not as often.
    5) Online and media are not real life. The constant attacks may be backfiring and actually boosting him.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no one is winning in a landslide, but that doesn’t mean the democrats can win baring something major happening

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

6. Unimane

Sure they can. Where is this silly coming from?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you honestly think any of the 3 can beat trump? if so why? hilary was a better candidate than all 3 and she couldn't do it.

8. Unimane

"Better" is relative. Hillary was also far more reviled by a number of people than any of the top 3-4 current candidates. She was not popular among African-Americans. Plus, the dynamics are as such the Democrats have an opportunity no matter whom is running. It also must be said Trump runs a really awful campaign, or certainly did in 2016, and is plenty capable of shooting himself in the foot at any given time. Hillary ran a historically terrible campaign and still got 3 million more popular votes, nearly winning herself.

No one should feel assured of anything next November, including Trump, and this is reflected in the current polling. There are so many variables, many unknown, which will come into play that, as I say, anyone feeling confident about the result is kidding themselves.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

african americans have only voted for one presidential candidate en mass. they ain't doing it for a bunch of old white people. i don't think trump can say or do anything at this point that will change people's mind. you think hilary is polarizing, try having warren as your nominee telling everyone she's going to tax the shit out of everyone.

justingroves likes this.
  10. Unimane

You're seeing this from your point of view. Will Warren resonate with this message? Depends. Obama did in 2012, in a way. I don't think she has much of a chance to win the nomination, anyway.

What matters is how people actually vote. The vote for AAs was lower than usual for Clinton because she did a poor job of strumming up the vote. Biden doesn't have this problem, Buttigieg does, Warren probably somewhere in between. There are, of course, other groups and collections of voters. But, the real indications of voting don't lend for anything to be except uncertain. Biden has been killing Trump in polling for most of 2019. Will it continue? Maybe, maybe not. But, it certainly suggests he could win, if he's the nominee.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

obama is an extremely charismatic person. warren has less charisma than any presidential candidate i've ever seen.

i don't see biden getting the base out better than hilary. obama won't even endorse the guy and he's just flat out goofy. i think people like biden better than trump. whether that results in biden beating trump i have serious doubts.

12. Tenacious D

Mark the time as to when his candidacy died, and why he isn’t in any way ready to play at this level.

I honestly do believe he’s smart, GCB, but he has to be smarter than this.

Has. To. Be.

Or if he’s going to take unnecessary trips off the cliff like this, at least be smart enough to surround yourself with those smarter than you, and who can save you from yourself (rich, from a Trump supporter...but even he could avoid this).

Also, put a pin in this as further proof of my truthful comments yesterday -that Democrats have become so dependent on the “isms” as to have forgotten how to win arguments / votes / elections, without them.

gcbvol likes this.
  13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Point taken, but you're talking general election viability here. I am speaking as to chances being the Dem nominee (for now). And what he said here is mild compared to his competition. In fact the left has and will blast him for not going far enough in those comments. It's where we are. I also think our collective abandonment of nuance is incredibly sad.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

mild, and accurate.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and people wonder why trump wins in the first place. everytime they compare trump to hitler or mussolini or declare anyone anti open borders is a racist they alienate another moderate voter.

16. Tenacious D

In order:
    1) In this field, you’re arguing that he’s the second tallest midget.

2) He has very good branding, prep and messaging staffers. His problem is that his positions suck.

3)

a. Clinton spent, 4-5x more than Trump in 2016, and badly lost.

b. It actually hurts to broadcast your message far and wide when many are unpopular and suck (see #2, above).

c. Last I looked, the DNC had >$1M on hand and several million in debt. The GOP has $100M+ and are still breaking records, seemingly each week (impeachment is basically the same as if the Dems wrote Trump a check).

4. To you and his supporters - his message resonates with you and his supporters, which is fine, but he already has those votes. I’m all for plain-speaking, but there’s a very good reason why “spoken like a good politician” is a common phrase....because it works...and most particularly when your positions are shit (see #2, above, again).

5) Of the two, you’d better hope that reality better favors and follows online opinions, because those are infinitely more favorable than those offline. This isn’t 2010, and people won’t post their opposition to an openly gay candidate, GCB. They won’t post their opposition to an openly gay candidate. You feel me?

I’m not mad at you.
    I don’t hate you.
    I don’t hate this cat (I hate his positions [as they suck], and that he’s damaging what would be an intriguing 2024 candidacy).

I also don’t care that he’s gay (even despite my non-Houstonian residency, and my decision to live amongst the intrinsically racist and unwashed masses of poor ol’ Tennessee).

Many, many, many millions do, as distasteful or unfair as we and any other reasonable persons may believe that to be.

Terrible positions + Not ready + openly gay =/= POTUS.

17. Tenacious D

Life just comes at you so damned fast, sometimes.

18. Tenacious D

Oh, but on a Presidential debate stage, this guy will magically turn into Daniel Webster!

19. Tenacious D

Did my voting for Trump make me racist, GCB?

Pay attention to the feeling you immediately have in being asked that question, and then ask yourself - does that seem like the sort of feeling that rallies support and wins elections?

And he’s not even talking about you. Imagine what I - and 63M other Americans - think, when hearing that. That he believes it and it isn’t just a gaffe, is so much terribly worse.

Do you think this makes me or any Trump supporter more open to him and his candidacy, or less, GCB?

Do you still think he’s ready, now?

20. Tenacious D

If Trump keeps polling above 15% with blacks, there isn’t anything to talk about.