2020 recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Dec 21, 2018.

1. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Is he an idiot ?

2. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Really interested to see where Grimes winds up. Certainly seems like the staff has been looking for an excuse not to take him.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

A lot of schools are looking for a reason not to take him.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I watched little dudes push him backwards all year. Its like he didnt try to win indy battles on D. Looked ok at rb but hes 6'4 250 and often bigger and faster than anybody on the other team

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I don’t care where players are from but we obviously made some instate guys high priority and it’s not getting done.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think any big time school outside of FSU has made him a priority

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Let's win out and then see what happens. Right now that's as important as anything. It may not bolster this class to a top 10 ranking, but it may set us up a lot better for the next couple of classes. That and getting certain people out of here and the right people to replace them.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree, but Tennessee employs Baron's dad and he's on campus damn near every weekend.

Hardy's family was with him at the South Carolina game telling coaches he's committed. He's telling recruits and coaches he's a Vol after the Auburn visit.

The first year, the staff screwed up on in state kids. This year, it's a different reason, it still sucks, though

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And that’s the oft-ignored but unavoidable pitfall of making in-state kids a priority. When you lose them, it’s doubly bad - first, because you lost a recruit of need, but also because it gives rise to some larger questions or concerns about your staff / program / direction.

“Tennessee couldn’t get Jimmy Joe and he’s from there!”

Had Hardy been from Coral Gables, nobody would automatically see his committing elsewhere as an indictment of our staff / program. Meanwhile, the same people worried about losing an in-state kid see that we’re building on kids from NC, SC, WV, GA, FL, etc., and don’t see it as an indictment on those hometown schools.

Recruiting in-state kids just because they’re in-state kids is retarded. This has always been, and will always be, true.

You hire Bill Belichick at TN and give him a roster of in-state 3*’s and give me a bunch of 4-5*’s from all over the place and I’ll beat his eyes shut.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We aren’t about to replace these guys with better targets from other states. These were our top tier, high priority guys. We missed on them and now will be dropping down to plan B’s. That’s the problem.

Hometown is only relevant in so much that is seems to highlight how bad our recruiting efforts have been.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree, but their being in-state kids is what has fueled all of these other and larger concerns.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That is not true. There is a lot to be concerned about with UT recruiting since Pruitt took over.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I disagree about this latest commitment not being on the Hardy or Grimes level. Only reason the kid isnt higher rated is due to him playing football for 1 year. His 10 yard burst is sick

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I like him, we just need 2 more big time DEs to go with him.

I have no problem passing on Grimes. Seems like a huge risk of being a bust.

chavisut likes this.
  15. chavisut

I like the Toll kid from Arky. Not sure if there are any others worth pursuing.

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  16. chavisut

I like him. He’s a BJO replacement. We need DL badly though. We’ll lose just about everybody after next season.

17. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

It wouldn't shock me if he were higher on the board than Grimes.

justingroves likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Who's this Evans kid?

19. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

He’s in the 2021 class.

20. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

The Moose is shit talking on Twitter again. Wonder who this is in reference to. I know he's Darnell Washington's lead recruiter.

OneForVol likes this.