2022 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

NIL + permanent total disability policy with the loss of value rider + a degree makes the decision to stay more finacially viable. Especially if a NIL deal covers the policy/rider cost.

History probably leans toward NBA, but the decision dynamics have shifted.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

InVolNerable likes this.
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The NIL deals are probably helpful, but that second contract in the NBA is key. You expect to hit it big your first free agent deal and NBA money in free agency is well beyond what any NIL deal can cover.

InVolNerable and A-Smith like this.
  3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

No doubt.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ok invol. Whatever you say. See you in the basketball forum with your Google stats when we lose again.
    And btw, hedging high and preventing penetration is what we were doing on the high ball screen. It wasn't about not guarding him. You either don't hedge and give up the risk of a pull up or penetration and kick, or hedge and leave him open for 2 seconds or rotate over from the wing and leave the other wing or corner open for a spot up shooter. I know that may as well be in Chinese for you but maybe you can learn about the game a little before next year's appearance before coming in with and "we can't just leave 7'2 open from 25 feet" laughable commentary

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

In case no one answered your question. It is in reference to "KyleAlexanderfan".

IP likes this.
  6. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Thanks Poppa T.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Your welcome.

IP likes this.
  8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Thats not what you said. You said:

You are trying to use the fact that we gave up open threes as evidence that Barnes didn’t do anything (talk to his players, yell out directions, etc.). That doesn’t make sense. If your stance is that, in the end, Barnes is responsible if players don’t do what they’re supposed to, then so be it. But the your position that he didn’t coach or attempt to alter defensive behavior is baseless.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wayne Chism hit four 3 pointers in a single game twice in his entire 4 year career at UT. How exactly do you define a “consistent event?”

The point was that you shouldn’t count on something happening if it’s only happened once or twice in, well, ever.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Makes sense

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chism hit enough they had to defend it from him

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't disagree with that. But that's not what KAF said. KAF said it "wouldn't ever surprise him if [Chism] hit 4-5 3's in a game if the other team left him open."

Chism never hit 5 3's in a single game in his entire career. And he certainly had more than 5 attempts on numerous occasions. He only hit 4 3's in a single game twice in his career.

KAF just says stuff. Could Chism hit a 3 when he was open? Of course. Was it smart to leave him open? Of course not. Was he going to drop 5 on you in a single game if you left him open? There's literally no evidence to suggest that he would.

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I am not smart enough to know "whose fault" it is. My opinion is irrelevant. I have enjoyed reading the assessments from many of you. Many of you are very knowledgeable and I enjoy learning.

I suspect the entire team/coaches believe there are things they could have done better or differently.

After many, many years of watching every UT coach and team fall short in the SEC (except 1979 and this year) tourney and the NCAA tourney. I personally will relish those two SEC tourney championships, no matter how insignificant they may be viewed by some.

Having participated in organized regular season/ tourney team sports until I got too old, I got one take away.

Basjetball tournaments do not always mean the best team wins, especially single elimination. Tournaments are tough. Tournaments are fickle. To win tournaments you have to play in a lot of them.

I like college coaches that develop/teach college players so they can have the best opportunity to take the next step. I like a coach that can get us in the tournament so we have the opportunity to win.

I thought this was the year. It wasn't. That sucks.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

In the 33rd game of the year or whatever, the center raised his 3 point percentage 2% by making 3 shots. Gotta stop and think about that one.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Only if you understand sample size. If you don't, you point to not covering him as the worst thing in the game and a key reason why we lost.

LawVol16 and Indy like this.
  16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I blocked him a long time ago. Can't remember for what.

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I was worried that we'd get exposed by a good post combined with cold shooting...Michigan happened. Would have still won with just less than average 3 pt shooting. Stone cold and no post option got us.

Poppa T likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Said exactly this earlier. I'm sure most people here didn't read it, as they probably have KAF on ignore and prefer not to read a single post of mine, let alone a wall of me posting to myself. But that's fine. It's a good point.

Poppa T and dknash like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

This is how you analyze and respond after a great season and disappointing loss. People could learn a little. But they wont

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yep. That is how I saw it. The kid on Vescovi did a good job.

I was secretly concerned with our post play most of the year. But the defense, sharpshooters, assists, team play and KC's continued development made me keep pushing that down.

It is a tourney. Guys are going do stuff (good/bad) that they would not normally do.
    Their big guy hit the 3's; our shooters fired blanks. I'm sure there is a more complex analysis.

Tar Volon and VOLinDAWGland like this.